HybridZ

240z seat belts

You'd have to modify the floor. 280Zs have a pocket in the floor behind the seat for the spool to mount to. I guess you could mount it directly to the floor somehow, but your seat probably wouldn't go back as far.

Besides, if you're going to upgrade your belts, you may as well get something brand new - old belts may not work as well when you need them most.

I've been looking for new belts myself and their pretty painfully expensive.

Not a very helpful reply, I know...

I did this. It requires some welding skills, but it worked for me. I think Datsun changed something on the seat belts every year. I looked for a 280 that had an inertial reel for both the lap belt and the shoulder diagenol (what the hell, I never could spell). These cars have an inertial reel mounted on each rear strut housing under a nice plastic cover. The reel for the lap belt is located in a pocket on the back floor. Have your JY cut out the pockets...get alot of material and don't cut the reinforcement brace. Unbolt the attachment plate on each rear strut housing, and,if you can, cut off the entire top of the rear shock housing. There is a flat reinforcement plate that you need to either use or copy to your rear shock mounts. Just eyball and you'll what you need. Weld the pockets in; align and weld the top support on the rear strut mounts and you are in business. There is one other minor problem; your early z's attachment point for the interior belts is a bolt into a reinforced patch on the back portion of the floor. That location is difficult to use for the buckle portion of 280 lap belt. This piece is a buckle attached to a stiff plactic covered cable that bolts directly into the transmission tunnel. I drilled my transmission tunnel and reinforced it on the inside with a 1/4 inch thick steel washer with an appropriate nut welded on. It works and looks "stock".

gw

Some 72's have inertial reel seat belts. My November built car did not, but my January built car does. My November car did have the pockets, however. The top of the strut towers is different for where the retractable shoulder belts mount, but could be modified with some difficulty. I have a complete set of belts from a '78 I'll sell for $50.