HybridZ

My 280z with an Lt1

Tx1021

First off, I have a thread in the members' projects forum but, i would like to hear peoples responses and opinions. So if you've read my thread in the project forum this is all old info.

My eventual goals for this are 350whp and really good aero, or as good as you can get with an S30.

Short term plans

-Jegster 8-point weld in cage

-FIA approved seats, I'm thinking Sparco Sprint 5's

-Rota grid 16x8 +10 in bronze

-Still deciding on suspension...

-Carbon hood and black airdam

Heres the progress so far...

Car when I first got it

790628_1_full.jpg

Lt1 and 4L60e auto tranny

790628_3_full.jpg

Original engine and tranny getting pulled

790628_13_full.jpg

Engine bay getting torn down and sanded

P5160133.jpg

Interior mainly stripped

P5160135.jpg

After sanding and cleaning the engine bay, it got spayed with POR-15. If you don't know, por-15 is a really tough paint that takes hardly any prep. It neutralizes any rust on contact and prevents it from coming back. The finish isn't like regular paint. You can tell it's tough by looking at it and it is similar to black powder coating. If you decide to do this go buy a harbor freight gun as it will likely ruin your paint gun in one shoot. Heres some more pics...

Paint3.jpg

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

paint4.jpg

paint5.jpg

All components reinstalled into the engine bay, waiting for the engine to go in.

paint7.jpg

And the engine is in :mparty:

lt1280.jpg

Hope yall like it. And that is how it sits right now but, it should be getting completed sooner than later.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like such a waste, you should stuff that big V8 in my car.

Maybe my next project I can get away from the L6 and do something different.

All the best and get it running because I know you can't be enjoying that Subie very much. All wheel drive and massive power with the comforts of home.

Looking Good. I brushhed black POR 15 onto my engine bay thinking that I would need to prime and top coat over it but it turned out very nice so I left it. Like any other paint its the prep work that counts so get it a smooth and clean as you can and it will look mighty fine.

Douglas

• 2 months later...

A little update...

I have

-Mounted my fuel pump

-Modded my engine harness

-Wired up the engine bay

-Bunch of other little things I can't remember

I still need to

-Run fuel lines

-Vacuum lines

-Run coolant lines, tranny and radiator

-All other wiring, relays, fuses etc.

-Have my driveshaft shortened

It's almost done :cool:

Heres some pics, I tried to keep the engine bay as clean and wire free as possible. I'm pretty happy with the results. What do you think?

P1010241.jpg

P1010249.jpg

P1010251.jpg

• 2 years later...

Well holy bump from the past....

The Z has sat for quite some time since I'm in school and have had internships out of state the past two summers... :frown:

But I'm stuck at home this spring break and staying in state for the summer so the project is back on :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

The engine and tranny never fit quite like I would have liked so it got pulled today and we cut out the complete "U" bracket that used to support the old mounts. If the weather is nice the engine will be going back in in a day or two. If the weather isn't nice I'll start working of the inside getting it ready for POR-15 and possibly making an aluminum dash like Myron's.

Overall I'm pumped to get back to working on this thing and maybe actually see it run at some point in the nearish future.

downsize-1.jpg

I've gotten quite a bit done the last few days...

The engine and transmission are back in and line up perfectly and easily now.

downsize.jpg

Also scraped all of the sound deadening off of the inside and sanded everything down, probably one of the most boring things I've ever done with a vehicle.

So now I'm in the process of painting the interior. Also had some help with the sound deadening :D

1downsize.jpg

Edited by Tx1021

That is one sexy beast!

I am also POR-15ing my car

did you use all their metal prep?

How did you feel with the spraying VS brushing technique? How much did you use? Did you reduce it at all for the spraying?

I am POR-15ing my interior as well to stop any rust that's forming there, my PO left bad door seals on her so now she needs some serious loving inside, but luckily no floor pan replacement.

What headers are you going to run to clear your steering linkage?

Thanks for any replies you give dude.

That is one sexy beast!

I am also POR-15ing my car

did you use all their metal prep?

How did you feel with the spraying VS brushing technique? How much did you use? Did you reduce it at all for the spraying?

I am POR-15ing my interior as well to stop any rust that's forming there, my PO left bad door seals on her so now she needs some serious loving inside, but luckily no floor pan replacement.

What headers are you going to run to clear your steering linkage?

Thanks for any replies you give dude.

Thanks for the compliments man!

I didn't use any of their metal prep, just roughed up the paint with some sandpaper, cleaned it, and sprayed. My car is completely rust free though so it didn't need much prep.

I can't say too much about brushing but I brushed some of the flat surfaces inside and it went on really well and flattened out easily.

We reduced it a little when we sprayed but I don't remember by how much.. Ended up using about half a pint for the front half of the car.

For the headers I'm using the Sanderson D ports from JTR.

thanks for the reply dude.

The entire install was JTR then?

I could not see it with the pictures but are you keeping the stock steering?

IT nice to see a build so fresh, I'll probably be taking pointers from you as i do mine, im at the stages of metal prep and interior cleaning. It will be a bit due to crap weather.

Glad to help,

Yep, pretty much everything is from JTR, headers, radiator, drive shaft adapter, ect...

The steering is staying stock for now. Don't have any real plans on changing it though.

Don't hesitate to PM me if youv'e got any specific questions, I'll do my best to help.