HybridZ

Stub Axle Bolts?

Cable

Hey guys, I was swapping out my old struts for some new one units and disconnected the axle from the stub axle in order to drop the lower control arm. Anyway, I started to get poured on by the rain and quickly stopped in the middle to stay dry. In my haste I lost one of the bolts for the axle flange to the stub axle. Does Nissan still have these bolts available? If so, anyone have a part number?

I'd look in the local wreaking yards, but I haven't seen a 240/260/280z/280zx for sometime.

Any help and or suggestions is thanked in advance.

280ZX ones require no peening....http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Code=S130_drive_shaft

LARRY

That's cool. They are the same length and everything I assume?

What is bolt peening anyway? I know the term used for shot peening (like shot peening connecting rods to ork harden, relieve stress and strengthen), but never really knew what the meaning was for bolts. Same?

What is the difference between the bolts I already have and the one's for 280zx's?

Thanks!!

P.S. Thanks for the email Joel, too bad wheel studs and stub axle bolts aren't the same thing ;).

I think he is asking for the bolts that attach the driveshaft (halfshaft) to the companion flange. The thing that requires "no peening" is the 280ZX stub axle nut, which you really do not need to remove to replace strut inserts.

The hafshaft to companion flange bolts are special because they have no threads where the go through the companion flange and the halfshaft flange. You should still be able to get these from Courtesy Nissan. Have you tried passing a magnet around where you lost yours? That is how I usually find missing bits.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys, and you are correct I needed a companion flange to halfshaft bolt.

I wondered if any of you guys have an actual companion flange from a '70-'78 Z car lying around?

I am interested in having a local machinist start a limited run of adapters that will allow the use of the stock companion flange and bolt to inter CV's from a Q45/300ztt.

The companion flange would be used as a template for the adapters, so even if the splines are stripped out it wouldn't matter because I am only interested in the bolt pattern and inter hub centric locater for the adapters to center on.

Thanks again guys!!