HybridZ

Intercooler routing pics

m1ghtymaxXx

I searched and couldn't find what i was looking for.

I was wondering if anyone had pics of how they ran there IC piping and air filter on there zx. I want to do the least amount of cutting possible, but don't want to add too much extra length or bends. Also would like to see what you did with your air filter, and what style and and size IC you used.

I'm thinking of running the cold pipe back behind the rad, but there wouldn't room with the stock fan/shroud. Any one done this before? Would a taurus fan and shroud buy enough room?

Thanks

TMIC FTMFW!!!

But seriously, I wonder why more people don't utilize those nice vents on the hood for moderate boost levels.

---edit---

Also if you've not choosen a fmic yet, I'd recommend reading the z32 performance sticky on intercoolers at zdriver. At a quick overglance, it seems that one was strictly about sidemount intercoolers, but there is another article in there somewhere about fmic vs smic. (hint: lots of aftermarket fmic perform more poorly than stock smic!)

TMIC FTMFW!!!

But seriously, I wonder why more people don't utilize those nice vents on the hood for moderate boost levels.

---edit---

Also if you've not choosen a fmic yet, I'd recommend reading the z32 performance sticky on intercoolers at zdriver. At a quick overglance, it seems that one was strictly about sidemount intercoolers, but there is another article in there somewhere about fmic vs smic. (hint: lots of aftermarket fmic perform more poorly than stock smic!)

Well looking at my engine bay i think my intercooler will be more dependant on ease of installation over maximum performance, not to mention, whatever intercooler i pick is guaranteed to come from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25x11x3-FMIC-Turbo-Intercooler-Mustang-Nissan-280Z-350Z_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ019QQitemZ290162714758QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This piece caught my eye. Looks like it has some drawbacks though. Air must travel down basically a 36"x5.5"x3" core, plus it has a 180* bend in it.

The other drawback i see with having the in and out on 1 side is it looks like it would make it damn near impossible to find a cold air source for intake air.

Anyways, I just wanted to see a few examples to help make my decision easier.

That looks to be a really cheesy intercooler, with the tanks set up that way I doubt you could fit it into the area in front of the radiator.

Not only that, the square end tank is a big pressure loss scenario, and the angles of the in/outs is terrible.

You would be much better off getting a 20x12/3 with in/outs opposed at the top.

As for the air intake, are you using the stock efi or MS or other speed density system? If not stock or 300ZX MAF, then cut a hole in the inner fender and put an air cleaner below the driver's headlight bucket.

I agree with Brad's opinion on the EBAY intercooler. Most people agree that intercoolers that have both the inlet and outlet on the same side are easier to plumb into the Z's. The preferred bar and plate configuration for this same side layout is one where the flow goes top to bottom not side to side. As you pointed out, the EBAY cooler you indentified has the bar and plates running left to right, turning 180 degrees and returning, rather inefficient.

BTW, you probably ran across my post about a year ago asking basically the same question. Not that my install is ideal, but it or the responses included my get the creative juices flowing!!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113425

I agree with Brad's opinion on the EBAY intercooler. Most people agree that intercoolers that have both the inlet and outlet on the same side are easier to plumb into the Z's. The preferred bar and plate configuration for this same side layout is one where the flow goes top to bottom not side to side. As you pointed out, the EBAY cooler you indentified has the bar and plates running left to right, turning 180 degrees and returning, rather inefficient.

BTW, you probably ran across my post about a year ago asking basically the same question. Not that my install is ideal, but it or the responses included my get the creative juices flowing!!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113425

Too bad i didn't see that before:icon11: Would have saved a thread lol.

I like your setup, and thats prolly what i'll do. I take it you got rid of the stock fan and shroud? If so, what did you use in place?

What kind of clearance does that cold pipe behind the rad have? And I assume you did keep you AC?

Also, saw in your sig says that your running 12 lbs. Any fuel system mods?

Just to clarify one point, the label cold pipe is normally reserved for the pipe leading from the intercooler back into the throttlebody. You want this pipe to have the shortest path and most direct path. The pipe I passed behind the radiator is the hot pipe (for lack of a better name) from the turbo into the intercooler. To accomplish this, I had to crisscross the pipes over the AFM. Some people do run the cold pipe in behind the radiator though.

Yes I did retain the AC compressor, removed the stock fan and shroud and replaced it with an Zirgo electric fan and thermostat. There's probably an inch or so of clearence between the radiator and engine pulleys. I used 2.25 inch pipe.

I've been running 12 PSI for about a year now without any issues. The only fuel mod so far was to install a Porsche 944 turbo fuel pump. I have a boost referenced adjustable raising rate fuel pressure regulator sitting on the shelf, but have not istalled it yet. I was planning on installing an wide band A/F gauge before installing the the regulator. I am running an Autometer A/F guage with the funky led lights and I seem to stay in the "green" area of the gauge under boost.

Here is a picture of my set up. I am using the stock fan shroud and mechanical fan. I just add an electric fan in front and use it to suck the hot air out of the engine compartment after shutting the engine off and if the temperature is too high

768663_101_full.jpg

More pictures here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/768663/4

BTW I like Phil's install also

V.

Here is a picture of my set up. I am using the stock fan shroud and mechanical fan. I just add an electric fan in front and use it to suck the hot air out of the engine compartment after shutting the engine off and if the temperature is too high

768663_101_full.jpg

More pictures here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/768663/4

BTW I like Phil's install also

V.

Hmmm, now i'm kinda torn again.

Vin, i would assume that your setup is probably a little more efficient, with a higher flowing intercooler, shorter pipes, and less bends. However I looks like theres no room for an A/C compressor, and a ton of cutting on the one side. You wouldn't happen to have any close-ups of where the 3 pipes pass by the rad would you?