HybridZ

pushed in bumpers(huggers) does anyone have a pic???

hondabait

The early Z bumpers came "tucked in". You could put on a set from an earlier car (including the brackets), or attempt to bring your later style bumpers in closer. The picture isn't the greatest, but here's an early (70-72) "European" style bumper installed on my 73.

DSCF2166.JPG

The front is easy. Just use early style bumper mounts. This will pull the bumper in. For the rear you will have to drill the mounts to relieve them of pressure, collapse them, then drill another hole in the collapsed mount and put a self tapping screw through it to keep it collapsed. You'll use the 260 center section but need to find 70-72 rear bumper ends as these will mount correctly. I did this on my 260 (red car in my avatar) and it came out nice. Joe

sooooo helpfull thanks! didn't know that the rear bumper was even 3 peices(rubber over my conections I guess) I started striping off all the old rotting rubber off the front till I get new stuff and in the meanwhile I put small caridge bolts through the holes where the rubber screwed through. It looks mean as hell, I think I may keep it like that.

It's not possible to compress the front shocks till I get the 240 brackets???

Yes, it's possible.

Pull the bumper and shocks off as a unit. Unbolt the shocks from the frame / body.

Use a penetrant (Aero Kroil, PB Blaster, WD 40) on ALL of the bolts and let it sit for a few days.

Unbolt the shocks from the bumper. Only takes two nuts per side.

Unscrew the screw on the end of the shocks that faced the bumper(smaller end). You don't have to take it completely out, just release all of the pressure.

Once this is done, screw the screw back in and take a drill to the opposite (larger)end. Use about an 1/8" drill bit. It's quite possible that the damping oil will come out when the hole is drilled, so take the necessary precautions - put it in a catch pan first and have some absorbent handy. Use eye protection. Drill your hole and collapse the shock.

Some people have said you'll have to drill and screw in a bolt to keep the shocks from extending out again. I haven't noticed this. I've had my shocks collapsed for about a month now without the bolt in them and they haven't moved. Yours might be different.

If you're able to get the rubber off without snapping off all of the bolts, do it. Otherwise, leave it on. My 260 still has the large rubber pads on it since the bolt heads are too rusted to get off. I'm going to keep looking for a 240 bumper and mounts for the front. The back bumper pads came apart easily.

The bumper ends have rubber connectors that keep the ends from bouncing around and hitting the bodywork. You may need to work up a bumper bolted to the body and fitting inside the bumper to hold them in place, something like I, H, G or E in this photo:

BumpStopG.jpg

...it depends on how much the ends bounce around and if they hit the body.