HybridZ

Help! w/ Diff.

OK. I think I need to act fast. Noises from my diff. have slowley but surely gotten worse. It has gotten to the point now that every shift is loud and makes me wonder if my car is going to leave me stranded.

Here's the question:

I want to swap an R-200 for the spent R-180. (I did a search but I'm just want to be sure) What else do I need besides the diff. and moustache bar? (car is a '72) Will the front mount work with the R-200? Will the stock '72 half-shafts work with the swap?

Please help! I need to do this as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Jaime

Originally posted by Jaime240z:

OK. I think I need to act fast. Noises from my diff. have slowley but surely gotten worse. It has gotten to the point now that every shift is loud and makes me wonder if my car is going to leave me stranded.

Here's the question:

I want to swap an R-200 for the spent R-180. (I did a search but I'm just want to be sure) What else do I need besides the diff. and moustache bar? (car is a '72) Will the front mount work with the R-200? Will the stock '72 half-shafts work with the swap?

Please help! I need to do this as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Jaime

You'll definitely need the half-shafts that belong on the R200. They attach to the differential in a different way. I'm not sure about the front mount, but you might need that whole cross-member. I seem to recall something about the earlier cars having the differential too far forward and than the R200 was moved back a bit. Not sure the details of this.

Also, something I noticed when swapping parts on my '75 280Z was that there are different input flanges on the differentials depending on the year. I pulled an R200 from a '74 260Z and the input flange was smaller than the one on the R200 already in my '75.

Gene

Guest Anonymous

A 1972 Z dif should have been moved rearward by the factory pre 1972's were not. Correct me If I am wrong but I understand the 240 front differential mount is turned 180 degrees for the R200.Also inspect all the ujoints on the drive shaft and half shafts to see if they are not making the noise.

I have a '78 r200 in my '72. I only changed the diff and the mustache bar. Rear mount was same and stock half shafts were fine. I have seen a different style setup on r180's, but only on an older car than '72. All of the pinion yokes should be same until ZX diffs.

Guest torynich

Or, you could do the 438 gears from the front diff of an early 80s Nissan 4x4 and keep it an R180. You just have to swap out the stubs. That way you keep some weight off rather than going with the R200. Just a thought...

The Xterra and the Frontier 4x4 have a Nissan r200 in the front. I have spent quite a long time trying to find out if this diff is interchangeable with a rear r200. Nobody knows. I had found a guy to send me his OEM r200 diff from his Xterra, but haven't heard from him in weeks, so who knows?