HybridZ

My first car show experiece(with my car)...

80LS1T

Well on Friday afternoon I got my car all cleaned up and met up with my buddy Adam who has a recently restored 69' Camaro. We then proceeded to drive to downtown Appleton, WI(where I live) for probably one of the biggest car shows in our area all year(about 500 cars).

The event is called "License to Cruise", which is part of October-fest. Basically the city closes downtown Appleton to traffic and it becomes one big party. The car show is actually on College Ave.(the main street running through downtown) and they line up the 500 cars on the road and people just walk up and down the street to look at the cars. There are no awards but a ton of old muscle cars and hot-rods show up. This year was a really nice turn out because it was about 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky!

First we had to get downtown to get in line for this event because it's first come first serve and when its full its full! So we got down there at about 2:00PM. They didn't start letting people on to the Ave. till 4:30PM, so we had to sit around for 2+ hours on some crappy side street that was all ripped up with road construction! Yeah I didn't understand that, put nice cars on the worst possible road and have them get all dusty?! Some guys were wiping their cars down before the show started but I figured why bother I have to drive 6-7 blocks before I get to the Ave., I'm just going to have to do it again when I finally get parked?

So a little after 5:00PM we were parked and I proceed to wipe my car down. After that I popped the hood and the first thing out of my buddy Adam's mouth is "oh sure you big show off gotta pop the hood right away!" Me..."yeah that's right I gotta show off what I got!" Him..."hey that car wasn't made in America!" Me..."well the important parts were!" Now all of this was in good fun and we both laughed about it.

Right away my car started to get a lot of attention. Number one I was the only Datsun there. Number two, I think word traveled fast about my conversion because all night there was at least 6 people around my car's engine bay just starring at it with a baffled look on their faces. My buddy was nice enough to stand near the front of the car and pretend like he was looking at it too and told me what everyone was saying. He said he got a lot of "holy crap, no way!"...."I can't believe that fits"....."what the...." ....:jesus %%#$#!" To say the very least it was very entertaining. The best thing I heard all night though was when an older couple, probably in their mid-80's, were talking....Her..."what kind of car is this?"...Him..."I don't know"....Her as she's looking at my corvette fuel rail covers...."oh its a Corvette, see there" ROFLMAO! They walked way before I could tell them otherwise but it sure was funny!

The best part of the all of it though was that my car got way more attention than the the Camaro's and Mustang's parked next to me! Even my buddy Adam was in a little shock at how much attention my car got compared to his 69' Camaro. There was probably 20 Camaro's like his there though....

The past five years of hard work paid off just after Friday nights experience! Now I just have to enter it in some other car shows to try to get some Trophies on the wall! LOL

Guy

Putting a V8 in a Z is definitely an attention getter, especially when you're the only one there. Even without a paint job, I generally get plenty of attention when I take her to shows. It's interesting to hear the comments, and most are very favorable. I took my older daughter to a little show at the local racetrack and she couldn't believe all the people interested in and constantly gathered around my car...and out of all the cars there mine looked the worst on the outside.

My Z always gathers alot of people at our weekly 1000+ car show. Most hot rodders and muscle car people are cool and respect the little old Datsun Z. Even though it's just an L28ET they are interested. The most popular comments are:

1) Those really were pretty cars...and still are.

2) My (insert relative here) had one of these and they were fast.

3) Is that a 240 260 or 280?

4) Where is the turbo charger?...puzzled as they hunch over the engine trying to find it, usually on the wrong side.