HybridZ

Mustache Bar Bushings/Burning

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After looking in the archives I realized I needed a simple answer to the question " How do I replace the bushings in the Mustache bar?". I bought the bushing set which has 4 large washers, 4 bushings and 2 axels. Instruction say to 'burn out' the old rubber. Also do I need to remove the mustache bar and if I do, will the rear end drop. Any advice?

Steve

Guest Anonymous

By all means, take the rear end out of the car before you try to burn out those bushings, Just drop the diff, then remove the mustache bar. It would be impossible to do that on the car. You will understand when you get it apart. Good luck. MArk

Guest Anonymous

Do I really need to drop the rear end to take the Mustache bar off the car? Looks to me like two bolts up into the body, and two bolts in the back of the rear end pumpkin. I know, I am a 'lazy wrench' but always looking to save work.

Steve

• 5 years later...
Guest raimbowsix14@hotmail.com

i lowered the diff and still couldnt get the bar off is their a way o get the stud things off from the inside of the car?

• Administrators

Remove the two nuts that attach the mustache bar to the differential and use a big pry bar to pry the mustache bar off of the differential! The mustache bar is "spring steel" and will flex. No need to remove any studs.

Also do I need to remove the mustache bar and if I do, will the rear end drop. Any advice?

Look at it this way. The mustache bar is located just inches from the FUEL TANK! If you start a fire back there, well ya better have paid your medical insurance and have a paramedic standing close by.

It ain't no big thing to drop it and do it right. Purchase a Haynes manual, you are gonna need one anyway.

thanks for the site i didnt know thoose bolts were there, i lost a nail and almost a finger taking it off the savage way, but hopefully putting it in will be easier and ya i dont have a original gas tank either :D

in the picture the bar goes over the plates to the sides on the back of the dif. on my car the bar was behind the plates??

• Administrators
in the picture the bar goes over the plates to the sides on the back of the dif. on my car the bar was behind the plates??

That sounds like you have the R-180 differential. The link shows the R-200 which is similar, just larger.

What I did was take an old drill bit and "hogged out" the rubber until the center fell out. Then it is just a process of cleaning up the inside of the mustache bar.

Be sure to cover your face and eyes because that rubber can be nasty when it gets hot from the drill bit.

lol i took one of the plates off and got the bar off one of the sides and ya i put it back together bytime i read this and it fixed the vibration problems but now when i decelerate from high speeds it feels like the front wheels are shaking and suggestions?