HybridZ

Which gear oil for transmission?

palauoriginal

well my transmission is grinding, sticking, downshifting, etc. was wondering if i could get some opinoins on good transmission oil for the datsun tranmissions. i heard on other forums that nissan tranies dont lke gl5 oils or something like that.

anyways im using redline mt-90 right now and it worked fine but now its bugging me because my tranny is grinding, sticking, etc.

was wondering wat you guys were running.

thnks guys

I'd use Synchromesh if you feel a need to stay with Redline. If not, I'd go with SWEPCO 201.

SOME GL-5 oils eat yellow metals like the brass synchro rings. SWEPCO does not.

Also at some point it doesn't matter what kind of oil you have. If it needs synchros really bad oil isn't going to make a difference.

^ srry bout that :icon11:

it doesnt have to be redline. i heard some good things about royal purple and lucas. i always see the little lucas advertisement at karagens i think its pretty cool haha.

also the sticky and etc only happens in the moring when its cold so i dont think its the tranny(hope not at least).

First I would get underneath and adjust the clutch free play.

For oils I put the GM/Pennzoil Syncromesh oil in mine. It shifts like butter and have driven it all summer that way.

I am having second thoughts now because it is a very thin oil. Like ATF.

I think I am going to change it out to MT90 or Swepco. It goes back into storage soon so I may do this in the Spring when I take it out again.

• 3 weeks later...