HybridZ

big problems with my 1986 300ZX Turbo

Hi. I recently started to rebuild an 1986 300ZX Turbo that was in my grandma's house and had been junked out for almost 10 years. I basically changed everything in it. The last thing I did was to rebuild the entire engine. Everything in the engine is new, from pistons to camshafts, all original 1986 nissan 300ZX Turbo original parts. Right now basically the problem is that it lacks serious power. If I go full throttle, it won't respond, it will go on, but it won't respond like it is supposed to respond when you full throttle. When I go uphill the car won't go uphill if it ain't in second or even first gear, from third up it just dies going uphill. I really want to fix this car because it has been in my family since 1986. I just want to know where to start checking so I can fix this problem. I'm a Puerto Rico National Guard and I have done 2 Iraq tours serving my dear and best island in the universe, and the greatest country in the whole universe USA. I have invested a lot of money in this project and I want to get it fixed before the next war jajaja. Thanx for the help.

Yeah, I kinda like realized that after I posted. Injectors are not new, they were from my brothers 300ZX Turbo because he installed Volvo 740 Turbo injectors in his car. The cylinder head temp sensor is brand new, but I didn't know the cable sequence ( which color was supposed to be matched with the other color...maybe they are inverted , or does that matter? ). I haven't checked fuel pressure but I guess it's working good because the car does not have any problem starting up when cold and it makes a pretty good idle though it sometimes it kinda acccelerates itself when I turn off all the electric accessories including the headlights, even when I release the brakes. One thing is that car has rich mixture because It's fouling spark plugs like crazy ( 3 spark plug changes in one month). The spark plugs come off as black as night in a forest and they smell like gas too. In the boosting part, what I did was just to play a bit with the waste gate, I just made a hole next to the factory made hole in the waste gate screw, meaning I pulled a little further in so it would take more pounds of boost but it just raises 5 pounds or less when I'm going at a normal speed and 7 to 8 when I'm trying to accelerate fast and uphill. Timming in the belt is perfect, I bought the goodyear belt because ii is the one that comes with the timming marks. The thing with my car is that it makes the effort to accelerate ( the engine sound like it because it forces too much ). I maybe think the problem might be or in the mass air meter or TVS (throttle valve switch, or detonation sensor, dunno ) I don't know if its something mechanical or something electronic. Dunno, I'm just an Artillery man. I can pretty much fix you a gun or a howitzer, but sure still can fix a car nicely. Thanks for the help very much man.

it sounds like running rich. Could be cold start valve jammed open (can't remember if z31 has cold start I might be thinking of 280zx). Otherwise than the maf is telling the ecu that more air is going to the engine than actual flow and thus injecting too much fuel. Look for posts on how to diddle the maf. did you look for trouble codes on the ecu. there are posts on how to check codes and what they mean.

• 3 weeks later...