HybridZ

Lash Pad thickness

naviathan

• Administrators
You know, I didn't even think about nose wear. The Schneider cam lobes that wore down only wore on the nose of the lobe. Guess I need to spend the money on the head set again and pull the whole thing apart...again.

Hmm.. Good point… If this is/was the valve train and valves that were originally in the head that ate the cam, the reason the cam lobes went away very well could’ve been coil bind. When the valve springs hit coil bind, they wont allow the valve to open ANY further AT ALL, thereby causing the cam lobes to disappear, like RIGHT NOW, and possibly other damage such as twisting the cam, busting/stripping cam towers from the head, etc.

Another thing to consider is exactly where on the seat the head man set up your valves. A good L-Head Shop will set valves for CC of the heads, and this will usually dictate different lash pads unless they shorten each valve accordingly dependent on how deep they seated the valves.

If they shallow seated your valves, up on the top of the valve seat...then they will be one height.

If they deep sunk them, more towards the bowl then they will appear taller.

The quickest thing to check is your lobe...you can caliper base adn lift do the math and know if the cam is worn. Same caliper will tell you your installed height on the springs more or less, and if you pop a valve or two will also measure the valve total length... Clear it all up in 15 minutes ifthe head is not on the engine.

Probably have the horse tied to the cart here, but this is why I will measure and mockup everything myself before sending it off to a shop to be ´cleaned´and assembled. If you´re not sure on the assembly, and the assembler is not sure on the assembly...then it´s time to simply pull it all down and keep things organized...and simply put it back together with a proper build sheet so you know what is where, and what lengths are what.

The shop should have done that for you when they assembled it. Even if it was chicken/scratches on the shop mans notepad...they should have something! You shouldn´t have to be grasping in the dark like this...they should be able to tell you what you started with after it left their shop.