HybridZ

What suspension setup?

Guest ON3GO

Ok im thinking about buying wheels for my 240Z.

Im thinking about Panasport C8 Race rims in 16x8 size's. Know sense its a race wheel do you guys think it would be fine for everyday street use?

also what coil-over system should i look into getting? i heard some good thinks about the Ground Control system, with Koni Shocks.

Also what other suspension parts should i look into getting? what A-arms, etc etc.

looking for a nice solid ride with no body roll, and sense im going to run ZG Flares what size tires should i run? rememeber im looking for around 450rwhp in this car.

thanks

mike

With that sort of power I'd be looking at a fairly heavy, strongly mounted front swaybar on the front, and NO swaybar on the rear.

A swaybar on the rear will help it ride flatter, but be prepared for the rear end to let go bigtime when you give it a bootful.

Hey Richard - Do you know the offset on the RX7 wheels? I'm thinking about the Z32 16x7.5 which will fit my car now but I like the weight of the RX7 stuff. That's the wheel that Ross C is running - right? BTW - howdy from Vancouver. I'm at work out here right now. Good to see some Canucks on HybridZ!

Cheers - Doug

Panasports, or their close cousins, the Minilites, should be just fine for the street. I've used them before on an autocross/street car because I was too lazy to change wheels on race day. As for coilovers, they are pretty generic IMHO. After all, they're only a threaded collar and a spring perch. The Ground Control ones are fine and come with quality Eibach springs. Ross and Mike have them too (just as good), and I prefer to support members of this board. I haven't thought about going without the rear bar because of the potential for throttle oversteer, but it does make sense. I've put in for a major power upgrade, and I may decide to go without a rear bar or put the stock one back on.

anybody have links to the memebers links for there coil-overs?

im all game to help out fellow Z'ers.

also is there any true coil-overs for the 240Z?

mike

Guest Anonymous

On3Go go to the October 27 post by Silverbullet "Need Advise" in the Brakes wheels etc thread and I posted Ross C and SCCA Mike's web pages for their suspension parts.. To me, historically the original coilover was placed over a shock By Carerra (?) years ago. You cannot easily or successfully adapt a suitable shock to the McPhearson suspension on the Z.For the Z, coilovers are going to be abiut $400.00 for all the corners.

Running without a rear swaybar reduces any power on oversteer tendancy dramatically. Believe me, my rear bar has recently been consigned to the junk bin.

Of course then you have to look at the spring rates, 250pound front, 300 rear are what mine are at present. But there are no absolute rules in the suspension game. smile.gif

Circuit track timed laps mostly, although the car is driven to and from. It FELT better with a rear sway bar, but now it can be driven harder/faster through corners, particularly long sweepers, even though there is a bit more body roll.

Originally posted by 260DET:

Running without a rear swaybar reduces any power on oversteer tendancy dramatically.

In general, this will reduce any oversteer tendency, not just power-on. The stiffer rear springs in this case should help, but overall that sounds like an understeer combination.