HybridZ

Passing emissions with an L28ET

jgkurz

To add to daeron's post:

(which was a great story that should teach people something important)

Alcohol is what ethanol is, which is what is now being added into our gas at the pump. It burns cleaner, but requires a much lower fuel ratio and on average is about 34% less efficiant.

Some starts have passed and are passing bills to add up to 10% ethanol to our fuel by certain time dates.

So yes, alcohol is safe and WILL reduce emissions if you're trying to cheat past testing. Just remember what Daeron mentioned, don't leave it in your lines. Pure alcohol is very corrosive to metals and will eat out your fuel lines.

In miami a while back when they temporarily brought back emissions inspections to get rid of all the 1974 buick LeSabres and other dinosaurs out of the system.

Two weeks later there were street vendors selling alcohol just up the street from the testing stations.

Then........as quickly as the emissions inspection was foisted on us........it went away along with the most of the dinosaurs.

• 1 year later...
I have been a tech for the last 13 years and I wish I could fail anyone but the machine does not have a fail button. If you fail someone for nothing you could be fined and its not cheap!

But, being a tech for 13 years I'm sure you know that if you REALLY want to fail someone it IS possible to make it incredibly hard for them, especially if it was already questionable.