HybridZ

Never Thought Of Running Intercooler Piping Like This...Pics!

slownrusty

Thanks Dave, not too many others have been able to see the vision as of yet...

There are a few problems with this project in general right now. Keep in mind it's not finished yet, and that I'm now a full time graduate student about 90 miles from where my car is in cryo-sleep. That is to say all these awesome plans that i've got simmering on the back burner are at least a year away from even getting started.

Still on the to-do list:

a)fabricate a tray that is sealed to the bottom of the intercooler itself that will be ducted from the two front corners of the tray to the fascia of the car.

2)build a "power bulge" that covers the pipe and creates a transition to the exposed top of the intercooler.

c)top this power bulge with a louvered panel.

d)replace my bad R200 with something that doesn't clunk and try to jump out from under the car while cruising...

I've taken the liberty of including a concept I've made to illustrate this idea. Through the magic of Photoshop CS3 I have managed to do this really quick and ugly sketch of what i plan to do:

intercoolerexample.jpg

You may wonder how that tray is going to clear the valve cover, and if that magic happens, how the feed tube will clear the fuel rail. I'll cut a hole in that bridge when I come to it...

I'll cut a hole in that bridge when I come to it...

>>> ROFL

Veritech-z,

Where the front of the cooler meets the bonnet is going to be a high pressure zone because its protruding. This can be a HIGHLY positive thing if the result is that the air gets direct upwards, as in a gurney lip. This will effectively draw air out the intercooler from the bonnet.

The problem I see atm is that its not sealed so the air will be going down into the bay and upwards. Wack a small gurney lip in front of the cooler that seals with the bonnet and see what happens? I'd be interested to see if it works.

Dave

>> Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...