HybridZ

The Z that almost was

240dkw

I thought I would post a few photos of a project I started in the early 90's. These are pics of the body work built on wire mesh and bondo over a 72 240z, I made fiberglass molds of the front and back end and then made fiberglass panels from the molds. I put the project away without finishing it. I now find myself ready to start working on my Z again, but have found that I am leaning towards restoring the Z back to org.

zcar_thumb.jpg

zcar1_thumb.jpg

After you said kind of firebirdish I had another look through the photos and realized that I was wrong on the date. It was 1985 not the early 90's as I thought. I guess that is why I am not inclined to finish this as it does look a little dated. And yes it was a fair bit of work to put aside. Although I had the help of an incredible bodyman who was/is a master with a sander. I posted a couple more photos of the front from other angles.

zcar2_thumb.jpg

Oh Dude, someone stole your designs for the 84 F-Body Redesign! LOL

I was in Japan at that time, and was assisting on a full refitting of a 67 Camaro involving greenfoam overlays on the stock body panels. We made a complete front and rear rebody... I think there were six Japanese guys working on it (three on each end) as well as myself and two other Americans who came to work on it every day after work from aroudn 5pm to about 11pm each evening, as well as 12-14 hours a day on the weekends (though on Saturday nights and a lot of Sunday that was more beer drinking and racing time! LOL) As I recall, that was something like 2 1/2 or 3 months...all summer to get the body prepped to make the molds.

Having gone through all that, having the body perfect and ready to make the mold off...laying that goop and mat over the pristine bodywork was stressful! I know where you sit, man. That must have taken the better part of a year (all winter at least) to get to the point you are at in those photos...especially if there were only a couple of guys working on it, after your regular jobs!

I remember that Camaro to this day...it's been the reason I have been so lax in making molds off my 73 body panels for transfer to the next car... Now thanks to HybridZ I found a place that has flares that are 'close enough' for me to simply modify them instead of repop my own car! I never look forward to making molds on body panels.

It still has a unique look, I like it!

Wow! Oh my gosh.

I say finish it! Who cares about the 'dated' thing. All our Z cars are old anyways lol. If we all kept up with the current girly fashion trends (and there are some bad ones these days, we are just blind to see them yet.) words classic would have little to no meaning. Sure it's 80's design. To this date the 80's is in the nowhere zone. Old... but not old enough. For example. I have an old 89 yamaha FZR1000 red white and blue sportbike. Yea its slow compared to todays bikes and most people called it a cow 10 years ago. Just in the last year or so people are waking up, wow thats retro, old school, don't see those anymore. Wanna sell it? Im like yea, how much? lol!

Forget OEM.

Hang on to your idea!

This ride is totally hybrid unique!

Oh Dude, someone stole your designs for the 84 F-Body Redesign! LOL

I was in Japan at that time, and was assisting on a full refitting of a 67 Camaro involving greenfoam overlays on the stock body panels. We made a complete front and rear rebody... I think there were six Japanese guys working on it (three on each end) as well as myself and two other Americans who came to work on it every day after work from aroudn 5pm to about 11pm each evening, as well as 12-14 hours a day on the weekends (though on Saturday nights and a lot of Sunday that was more beer drinking and racing time! LOL) As I recall, that was something like 2 1/2 or 3 months...all summer to get the body prepped to make the molds.

Having gone through all that, having the body perfect and ready to make the mold off...laying that goop and mat over the pristine bodywork was stressful! I know where you sit, man. That must have taken the better part of a year (all winter at least) to get to the point you are at in those photos...especially if there were only a couple of guys working on it, after your regular jobs!

I remember that Camaro to this day...it's been the reason I have been so lax in making molds off my 73 body panels for transfer to the next car... Now thanks to HybridZ I found a place that has flares that are 'close enough' for me to simply modify them instead of repop my own car! I never look forward to making molds on body panels.

It still has a unique look, I like it!

You are right it was a very stressful time when we pulled the molds off, there were a few spots that did not let go cleanly and lots of the original body work came off with the molds. It did not take much work to clean up the molds but there was nothing let to make another set from. Thanks to everyone for their input and thoughts, this puts me back sitting on the fence as to which way I should go.

I would have to agree with Cozy, finish the project. You have the right to change your design as your preferences change.

Jack Atkinson the designer of the Primadonna's spent 7 1/2 years in the design, and build stage on the first car. During that time many things changed, and influenced his final design.

In the end you'll always get some criticism, but you'll always have the satisfaction.

I have to say that you are both are right, I need to continue with this build. When I began looking into starting to work on my car I stumbled on to this site and I am blown any by the information and free exchange of ideas. I have done a few searches on some of the questions I have such as on how to attach the panels to the body and have found a wealth of information. I have been away from working on cars for over twenty years so I feel like a newbie. As well, when I put this project away in 1985 I had rebuilt the L24 and it is still sitting on the engine stand in the corner of the shop under a tarp, I wonder what it will look like when I open it up?