HybridZ

OEM Dry Sump Source

rudypoochris

I can see it being a combination of both. Perhaps an crank driven oil pump and a remote filter pickup location.

A remote oil filter is a far cry from a Dry Sump! There are several combination of Wet-Sump systems available for the Nissan L that use external oil pickup from the oil pan, remote filtration, cooling, and entry to the former oil filter location on the side of the block. They are still using the sump to store oil and engine to drive the oil pump internally.

Generally Dry Sumps store their oil in an External Tank, with a conical bottom to allow constant flooding of the oil pump with oil regardless of cornering G's (or for that matter in the case of aircraft, which way is 'up'!) ensuring the engine will run with an uninterrupted oil supply. Generally the pump is mounted externally from the engine, with the OEM pump being blanked off. The pump will have several stages of suction that will evacuate the engine crankcase of slung-off and used oil, and then pump it to a de-aeration tank (which may be the same as the holding tank). From there it goes to the main pumping section, then off to filtration-cooling-engine uses. Some of the stages may be dedicated to turbocharger oil supply separate from the engine supply.

In any case, I'm highly doubting the Previa has one. I'm getting some feedback from my Toyota Buds that it doesn't as well, and that TRD offers a Dry Sump for the engine in their competition parts catalog. So if they are offering it as an aftermarket setup, then it's probably not got one OEM.

That's my update on the Previa Engine Situation...

A remote oil filter is a far cry from a Dry Sump! There are several combination of Wet-Sump systems available for the Nissan L that use external oil pickup from the oil pan, remote filtration, cooling, and entry to the former oil filter location on the side of the block. They are still using the sump to store oil and engine to drive the oil pump internally.

Generally Dry Sumps store their oil in an External Tank, with a conical bottom to allow constant flooding of the oil pump with oil regardless of cornering G's (or for that matter in the case of aircraft, which way is 'up'!) ensuring the engine will run with an uninterrupted oil supply. Generally the pump is mounted externally from the engine, with the OEM pump being blanked off. The pump will have several stages of suction that will evacuate the engine crankcase of slung-off and used oil, and then pump it to a de-aeration tank (which may be the same as the holding tank). From there it goes to the main pumping section, then off to filtration-cooling-engine uses. Some of the stages may be dedicated to turbocharger oil supply separate from the engine supply.

In any case, I'm highly doubting the Previa has one. I'm getting some feedback from my Toyota Buds that it doesn't as well, and that TRD offers a Dry Sump for the engine in their competition parts catalog. So if they are offering it as an aftermarket setup, then it's probably not got one OEM.

That's my update on the Previa Engine Situation...

Sorry, I meant to say that it was a remote oil reservoir, not a remote filter location. i was looking at a picture i found yesterday and it seems to be just an external oil reservoir with a crank driven pump and i've convinced my room mate that it's not a dry sump after all.

LOL, i don't want you to think the wrong thing. I've seen some dry sump systems in person, just put the wrong word in there by accident.

Aside from that, I'm somewhat impressed at the engineering that went into this van. It's got all the neat features of most newer vans and it's probably better built too, considering how long they last and how much it cost Toyota to keep up with.

Do you have any links to the TRD Catalogue? I'm assuming it's in a back issue as the previa (or estima) has changed since the first generation greatly.