HybridZ

About to start my SC280Z project

azcarbum

Well, after about a year and a half of collecting and thinking, I've just about have everything figured out, and parts in line for my Custom SC project.

quick run down:

• JCR Supercharger setup ( thank you 1TUFFZ )
  • Wolf3D EMS ( Ron Tyler - PrimeEMS )
  • 6 IGN Coil setup ( PrimeEMS )
  • Cutsom CAS for Lseries ( PrimeEMS )

There alot more little special pieces that will make a very one of kind setup.. I can't tell you how excited I am to get going on this. I should start the process soon, and I'll make sure to keep posting progress reports as I get along.

100_0325.jpg

100_0320.jpg

100_0323.jpg

100_0332.jpg

100_0337.jpg

100_0338.jpg

100_0316.jpg

yes.. its ment to run wet.

Thats my way of taking care not only lubrication, but reducing the heat. Pete Sanders is running the same setup on his car dry. He say's he hasn't had any problems, but his intake temp has been 300 deg!!! ( yike!!)

The elbow/ TB is from a late 90's mustang. It takes care of a bunch of things in one big swoop!!

Yes, the welds turned out awesome!! I found a local shop, and they only charged me $60 to weld both TBI elbow, and the intake manifold. Thats a dam good price in my book!

The Injector bungs are a CNC unit made by SDS. They are $37 ea. which insn't bad. What makes them unique, is that they craddle the injector and seal it inside each unit. This way, as you said, I will run individual braided lines to each injector.

They hold the standard 14mm GM injectors. I'm going to run 440cc for my setup.

So, are you just running fuel to the lone injector? Or will it be methanol, alcohol or water fed?

I have a JCR kit that I'll be installing soon, and am still trying to figure out the whole fuel situation...

I'd also love to see some pics of your fuel lines once they're all installed, should be a work of art. Any issue with hood clearance with that Ford TB setup?

I'll be running just fuel to each injector from a distibution block i've found. With the WolfEMS system I'm using, I will have extremely fine control over Ign. and fuel, which will allow me to fine tune the entire system for maximum gains and reliability.

The 7th injector is fuel also for cooling and lubrication of the SC. The Camden SC is a "Wet" style supercharger, and is not recommended running dry!

Anyther hybridz member has been running it dry on his track car. He say's he hasn't had any problems with the SC, but his intake tempratures were around 300 deg... YIKES!!

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear there. I was assuming the 6 injectors in the runners would be for fuel, but I was wondering if you had any intentions of using the 7th injector for "cooling injection" using a fluid besides gasoline, like water, alcohol or methanol.

Thinking about the hood clearance issue, I was searching for different scoop possibilities and came across some pics of the classic blower/carb scoop with 2, 3 or 4 butterflies sticking way up. You know a car's bad, when it's got one of these babies sticking out the hood:

E03.jpg

What if we applied the same principle to the Z, and I'm not talking about no V8 + blower + scoop setup with the scoop sticking straight up out tha middle. I'm talking inline 6, JCR supercharger kit, scoop with three red butterflies sticking out the driver side of the hood at a 45 degree angle.

I photoshopped a little sample of what it might look like as follows:

ZwithSCscoop2.jpg

I might have to try it, comments? In fact I dare you all to dare me to do it, then I'll have to do it.

There's no doubt it can be done. The real question is why, and for what effect.. You can spend alot of money on things that don't help you any.

You would never need 3 butterfly's for an intake on a L motor.... Infact, you would most likely run into mixture problems, especially off the bottom end. The required size of the TB is something that is tuned for your setup. Like alot of things, you can create issues by going to small, and to big without gaining anything.

The 75mm shown on my setup, is way more than I'll ever need!

Well, I was planning on using some type of TBI setup for my first iteration of getting the supercharged engine running. The TBI would just sit on top of the supercharger with a spacer. So the scoop would just force air into the TB. And the scoop butterflies wouldn't actually be functional. You could have one with the two or three butterflies that just open along with the actual throttle, or you could just have a scoop that scoops and filters, with no butterflies.

• 1 year later...