HybridZ

Caster Question

Hi All,

I have a geometry question concerning the LCA to body mounting point.

LCA-1Large.jpg

You are looking at the adjustable LCA and T/C rod, complements of Mikelly.

Well the question is what will happen to the caster if I change the bushings around so that the large one is in front and small in back on the heim joint?

Thanks for your help.

HB280ZT

You will reduce the amount of positive caster and change the SAI by moving the LCA pivot point back in relation to the upper strut mount. The LCA should move as perpendicular to the chassis centerline as possible or you'll get wheelbase changes during suspension travel. Because of this, you will also have to shorten the TC rod.

You will reduce the amount of positive caster and change the SAI by moving the LCA pivot point back in relation to the upper strut mount. The LCA should move as perpendicular to the chassis centerline as possible or you'll get wheelbase changes during suspension travel. Because of this, you will also have to shorten the TC rod.

This will also have an effect on the bumpsteer curve, since you are changing the relationship between the LCA and the tie rod.

John,

Sorry to be a pain, but could you please explain how changing the LCA pivot would affect the castor/KPI/SAI/etc. I must be missing something? The castor/radius/etc rod holds the bottom of the strut a fixed distance the bracket.

The only way I can see moving the LCA pivot affecting the castor is by it pulling the LCA inwards a fraction more (assuming it was perpendicular to start with), which would cause the end of the castor rod to move inwards with it. As this end is an arc, it would change the overall castor.

Or am I way off base?

Dave

Your assumption that the wheel (spindle) stays in the same place is mistaken, unless the LCA and/or the TC rod lengths are changed.

Think of the LCA and the TC rod as two sides of a triangle. The third side is a line from the LCA pivot point on the chassis to the TC pivot point on the chassis. If one intersection of that triangle is changed (the LCA pivot point moved back and that side of the triangle shortened), the other two intersection points in the triangle have to change their position in space unless at least two sides of the triangle change their lengths.

Yep I get that. Thats a much better description of what I was trying to get at.

I would raise two points though,

1. The amount of movement would be SFA.

2. I think that given the angle the castor rod is on, an inwards/forwards movement would increase positive castor ( by SFA ;) ).

Dave

I have an adjustable T/C rod and have pushed it forward so that the tire looks forward in the wheel well and is getting very close to rubbing on the fender. With it setup this way I am only at +3.8 deg of castor. So to get 6 to 7 I would have to push it into the fender? However I also have camber biscuits that I can change the camber and castor some but still not enough to get even close to what is recommended by the racing people.

Thanks for the information hope this also helps someone else!

HB280ZT