HybridZ

An S15 with a 6 speed will work, right?

Blakt Out

Hey everyone,

I haven't really posted on here before. However, I've been mining your posts for a few months as I prepare my project. My '72 240Z has been in the resto shop for about 4 months now. It's on a rotisserie and is just about ready to shoot with the factory lime paint. I've been trying to decide between the SR20 and the RB26. After talking with Adrian at Vildini (who is AWESOME) today, I decided on the SR20. The weight is such a big deal to me, as I'll track the car on road courses. So I want to have around 360-380rwhp. No more. That's a good combo of power and traction. I found an S15 with a 6 speed out of a Silvia. I'm not really finding any of you talking about the S15 OR the 6 speed. I find a bunch about S13s and 14s with 5 speeds. Will this work as well? Does the 6 speed fit in the tunnel all the same? Does the S15 set in just like the others? Thanks for all the help. I think it's cool to have a 6 speed, and I think an S15 would be cool too.

Thanks for all the help. I think you'll start seeing a lot of my posts on here before long. But I'll throw some pics in here because I know how much I enjoy all of yours.

Take care, brothers!

Jared

Here's a pic of the car as I bought it back in the spring.

x1hnq9.jpg

Here's me dropping it off at Roman Road Restoration Center in North Wilkesboro, NC.

33jn7g9.jpg

Then, it immediately went to this point...

n682f4.jpg

2cmrjf4.jpg

And this is where it is today...

66i1jc.jpg

So I hope I didn't bore you with all that. Rock on. Glad to be here in the community (again). This is my 14th Z. I've done the V8 and felt like I raped the car (no flaming... my opinion). I'm really excited about this one being a keeper.

I have a JDM S15 SR and 6-speed. They fit in a 510, so yes I'd imagine they'd fit in a zed's tunnel without issue. The 6-speed has a bad rep in high-power mods, but a couple of blokes at performanceforums.com.au pulled one down that did the usual (shat 4-th), and determined something along the lines of an incorrectly recessed circlip. Sorry i don't have anymore details, probably availble if you wanna search.

Good luck,

Dave

They're supposed to be the same housing. with thinner gears to allow for the space for 6 of them. [the rumor why they're weaker.] so it should fit.

Im going to be using one, but i havent got it into the tunnel yet though.

good luck, any progress you make would help me as well.

another thing. the 6th gear isnt a super overdrive like on a t56, so its just a closer ration box. its allright with me, i like shifting, but i thought you should know.

They're supposed to be the same housing. with thinner gears to allow for the space for 6 of them. [the rumor why they're weaker.] so it should fit.

Im going to be using one, but i havent got it into the tunnel yet though.

good luck, any progress you make would help me as well.

another thing. the 6th gear isnt a super overdrive like on a t56, so its just a closer ration box. its allright with me, i like shifting, but i thought you should know.

Great info. I see in your sig that you've used AZZCar. I have their coilover/big brake/5 lug system going on too, as well as the moustache bar. What's up with teh Q45vlsd? Is that an Infiniti Q45 viscous limited slip diff? Is that the creme de la creme? What year?

Thanks guys. I'm friggin stoked.

OK. I bought it. It was on ebay. They had it for $3k plus $350 for the ignitor and MAF sensor. Seems crazy that those wouldn't be a part of it. I bought the whole kit and caboodle. I'm getting the cradle from Vildini. Can't wait. I may send the engine to JUN to get balanced and built out.

congrats on the purchase and the resto, I can aready tell that your resto/mod is going to end up super clean. After your first few posts last spring I wondered what direction you had or were going to go, and if you had maybe ended up buying Zhadmans old RB26 project (Does anybody know where that car went? )

Look forward to seeing some more pictures and hearing about your progress!

how about a list of likely specs for your project?

Great info. I see in your sig that you've used AZZCar. I have their coilover/big brake/5 lug system going on too, as well as the moustache bar. What's up with teh Q45vlsd? Is that an Infiniti Q45 viscous limited slip diff? Is that the creme de la creme? What year?

Thanks guys. I'm friggin stoked.

the 90's Q45's have got them.theres lots of options for differentials. i cant say that this is the best or that there even is a best. search a bunch to find out specific info about what will work best for your combination of parts/your goals etc...

Thanks Sparky... and that's one GORGEOUS 240Z you have there. Do you just have an amazing memory (about me last Spring) or did you search? I gotta know. That's just downright impressive.

As for what I've decided to do:

Bought a pretty solid 72 240Z. Lime green with black and a 4 speed. All original... totally.

Have the entire stripped down to the metal by a Barrett Jackson level restorer (you won't believe how crazy these boys think I am for doing all this to a "Jap" car, but they really think it's cool. I kind of have the coolness licked in their eyes because of my other car... so I was 'in' in the good ol' boy network, if you know what I mean). That, plus I know a relative good amount about cars, including old American iron, so they're really in to helping me have a badass, perfect car. So it's down to the metal. I told them I wanted everything perfect and able to be eaten off of. Look at this pic that I got this week. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

73mosg.jpg

That's primer, by the way. The entire belly is going to be shot with a pigment mixed RhinoLiner stuff that'll perfectly match the lime. All lines will be stainless braided if possible. Everything new. Everything perfect. I bought new actual Datsun fenders that I found in Anaheim that have never been opened out of the plastic, as well as a new Datsun dash bought decades ago from a closed up Datsun dealership. It's perfect, so that was cool (this is the stuff I've been hunting down since I posted in the spring... including the car). I will make the car look somewhat like this, but lime or whatever that color's called.

2e4krnp.jpg

When I say, 'like this one', I mean that it will have this stance, this size of wheels, this front spoiler (which just was delivered to the resto shop from Motorsport Auto), and that my bumpers won't have the bumperettes and the holes will be welded and then chromed a ton of times. I say it will have this stance because I have a set of these sitting beside the car waiting to go on (sometime).

fpcpl4.jpg

This is from Arizona Z Car and is the 5 lug with coilovers and big brakes. I actually upgraded to 6 pistons on the front. All of this should really provide some good adjustability.

Speaking of Arizona Z Car, I also have this from them waiting to go on.

2ymuizd.jpg

We're doing the whole inside of the car body with some stuff called Lizard Skin, which is used on new cars to aid in sound deadening and doesn't weigh much. It also prevents rust totally. So that will be in before the interior goes in, all in lime.

Everything on the car, from the windows to the latches to the emblems to the mechanisms, is being replaced unless it can be made to be at least as good as it was in 1972.

On the interior, I have someone taking all the vinyl pieces, including the headliner and the tranny tunnel cover and making exact replicas of it all in full-on Italian leather. The grains will be matched as much as possible, as will the stitching. I'll probably use the stock wood wheel (or a new one just like it), OEM gauges, and even the OEM shift knob, or a replica of one like it to fit the thread of the SR shifter. I'll have racing, but retro looking pedals, if there's such a thing. It'll get the strut braces and sway bars. The engine will have a setup looking like the one on Vildini's car (beautiful) intercooler placement and all, and it'll make 360-380 whp.

As for wheels, I don't know. I have an affection for Panasports, but they won't fit over the brakes. I'll have to see. They'll be 17s on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, as that's what I run on my other car and I love them on the track. This car will not be a garage queen. It'll go to probably 1/4 of my track days, and I get about 6 in a month on average.

This is something I've wanted to do for so long. I'm blessed to be able to do it as thoroughly as I am. I won't be waiting on anything but the time needed to do it all right.

Rock on. God is good.

Thanks for the + comments on my Z, its been a long road that never seems to end, I just finished doing some fairly involed upgrades (E85 conversion, S14-speed)) and will be installing a laundry list of new suspension bits (Five lug conversion, SSR reverse mesh, Wilwoods front and rear, etc etc.) so I have to wonder if she will ever be together longer than shes apart. :)

Your off to a great start, the body work so far is very impressive, of course it helps that you started with a 240Z that looks to be in great shape. Impressive list of parts as well, should be a showstopper when its all together.

I've heard of the lizard skin stuff before and have always heard good things about it, but never used it. Maybe in the next go around I'll use it but by that time they will have something even better out there.

You know, I hear you on the wheel situation, what you chose can easily make or break a car. Panasports though are a good classic choice, they always seem to look good on the early Z (and many other classic cars). Too bad they won't clear the brakes though, are you going with the FS or the multi piece "Racing" C8 style? The additional detailing in the C8s might be a good choice for your car as it will be a bit of a hint of what lies underneath and they would also help differentiate your car from the other Zs that have panasports on them. maybe when you order them you could just spec an offset that would allow you to use a small spacer to help you clear the AZC brakes.

Nardi makes a really nice wood and polished aluminum steering wheel that's a great mix of classic style with modern touches. The rest of your interior plans should make for a very comfy and lovely smelling cockpit.

I had custom doorpanels, shift boots, E-brake boots, and other interior bits made up in a mix of black leather trim with black suede inserts and paint matching orange double stiching and must say it smells great in my car! ;)

Good luck with everything, be sure to take lots of pictures and post regularly!

Wurdup.

I looked into the C8s, as well as your reverse mesh SSRs. Those look killer. I also looked into the more modern custom made 3 piece wheels. Check these HREs out.

219nxah.gif

Having those made in the right offset to clear in 17s (that is as small as they make'm) and maybe in charcoal centers would be really need with the lime I think. What do you think? I'd love to see some more pics of your car. That's incredible. Did you make that exhaust?

HRE's are very nice wheels and I do think the charcoal centers with a lime Z would be very cool. At the same time though, and even though they are really nice, they are also a very modern wheel (although you could argue that they are a a modern interpretation of a classic mesh style wheel) and one could say that they lack the classic style and sensibilities of the panasport FS and C8s. It all really depends on what your going for or trying to convey through the outer appearance of your car. Personally I have longed for a set of HRE's for a long time and if money wasnt a huge concern I would have an even harder time trying to chose a set of wheels...HRE's, Fikse, CCW, Work, Simmons, Panasports...I could go on and on.

choosing wheels and gauges have been the hardest decisions I've had to make so far on all my projects.

Yes I fab'd up everything from the back of the turbo to the muffler on my exhaust, its 3" mandrel bent and cut in three sections to make it easier to work on and remove/replace. Right now its aluminized steel until I upgrade the turbo and exhaust manifold and then I will remake it in SS.

I have some more pictures in my photogallery here and will have some much higher quality shots in the next few months as I learn to use my new Canon DSLR and lenses. :) Happy Birthday to me!