HybridZ

An S15 with a 6 speed will work, right?

Blakt Out

Thanks a ton. Now, if I could just interpret that, I'd be set.

download a program called GearCalc. It's free.

all you need to do is take a note of the diff gear that you're using in your diff casing, and put that as the Final Drive variable in the program.

It will tell you your various top speeds (for redline RPM that you choose) in each gear as well as the top speed of the car itself.

It even tells you the shift points at which you can drop back into powerband to initiate a faster acceleration in situations where every ounce of power is needed.

Neat program, check it out in order to find out what transmission you want to use.

I think I might go with the 6 speed if I can find it.

Sparky,

Yeah. I really was trying to find the least modern one of that line (the only line with 17s available). I'm just thinking hard on the wheels. I always do so much searching before I buy some. I really think you and I have similar tastes. I love the Apexi look of your exhaust, and I LOVE the copper color.

Careless,

I'll DEFINITELY do that. Wow. How cool. THanks for that. Only question now that I have is, on a decently built 380HP SR20 S15, what should I assume redline to be, and where does the power typically come on? I know these are very dependent on variables, but I need more info to do better than I could currently just guess.

Thanks you two!

From the hopped up SR20's i've had the joy of riding in, the power starts to come on really early. between 2800 and 3200 for a mid sized turbo. It doesn't stop making power up to about 6000 - 6800.

Some don't die off even passed 7500. It's all a mater of turbo selection, really.

I'm not a die-hard SR20 fan, but there are some folks in here who have done the swap in a Z or in another car.

but it may be a good idea to go to a 240sx board as well. zilvia.net, nico forums, freshalloy, and ziptied have some cool projects goin on.

First of all, Awesome project Blakt Out. I have similar plans for mine but with a lower budget in mind.

As far as the wheels go, have you looked into the Rota RB's? http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126343 I'm thinking of going with 17x8.5 in the back and 17x7.5 in the front once the right offset is available 0n the 17x7.5.

Yeah I was going to get the Apexi N1 universal turbo muffler but couldnt stomach the 200+$ price tag so I bought a 50$ Dynomax instead :)

Have you looked at the used or "JDM" wheel market?

http://www.rbwheels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_21_23&sort=20a&page=1

The big problem with used wheels is that you might never find just the right offset so you have to space wheels out sometimes to get them to fit or look right, thats not a problem for some, but its a big problem for others. They have a good selection of 5 lug 17" wheels right now, maybe something there will inspire you to take a certain direction....its always good to just look.

The more I think about those HRE's on a lime car though the more I like it!

Ok, so getting more info on the SR20 S15 6speed.

changing bellhousings is a no-go, as the case is apparently a 3 piece, not a 2 piece. and the bolt plate on the inside of the bellhousing is somewhat different and it will "definately' not bolt upto an RB20 bellhousing or RB motor.

BOOOOOOOOO! (for me, anyways)

Yes this works. I can also scan a page in a book that my dad has from the 80's that uses the same method to calculate RPM, and you can turn it into a useable signal for a 20 LED Tachometer or Speedo too =).

Would you like me to scan it this weekend?

:D

Guys, I wouldnt recommend running the S15 6 speed, if you are going to be running higher power than stock.

I owned an S15 Silvia SR20det Spec R for over 2 years. All i did to it was K&N air filter, minor increase in boost and a trick 3" mandrel bent exhaust system (with a seperate pipe from wastegate) this added 46kw at the wheels.

The car went well and i drove it quite hard through the gears and the odd skid and drift etc, but nothing really abusive.

The car had 38k kms on it when i bought it and was mint. After about 25,000 kms with the mod's the 6 speed was making very bad noises, it was stripped and inspected and found to be completly worn out, bearings and gear surfaces.

The gearbox shop said that they are known to be weak. Basically nissan squeased an extra gear into the same size case, so everything had to be smaller in size, hence the in-ability to handle the increase in torque.

Apparantly the Drift guys that run S15's out here, swap out the 6 speed in favour of the S14 5 speed for its strenght.

S15 200sx owner,

Very sweet car you've put together there (the Z). Just a few questions... are you having any frustrating trouble with hooking up coming out of turns? I will be tracking my car too (I actually am a Porsche 911 guy too, as I see you are. ROCK ON!) That's why I went with the S15 instead of the RB, as well as weight balance. And my last question, what kind of front spoiler it that? It looks like it might be carbon. Am I right?

S15 200sx owner,

Very sweet car you've put together there (the Z). Just a few questions... are you having any frustrating trouble with hooking up coming out of turns? I will be tracking my car too (I actually am a Porsche 911 guy too, as I see you are. ROCK ON!) That's why I went with the S15 instead of the RB, as well as weight balance. And my last question, what kind of front spoiler it that? It looks like it might be carbon. Am I right?

Thanks, the Z is not going yet :-( so sorry cant give you an answer. The front spoiler/bonnet/hatch are actually glass, not sure of its origin sorry (somewhere over this part of the world tho i believe)

What are you running in the porka to make 500+ hp??

gotcha. The Porsche is an 06 911S which has the 3.8. Came with 355hp. I have added an Evolution Motorsports supercharger, Fabspeed headers be exhaust, GIAC engine tuning, and an IPD high flow intake plenum. All that is good for right at another 200hp. Then, I also added Bilstien PSS coilovers, GMG Racing sway bars and rear toe links, GT3 Cup car control arms, complete corner balancing and susp tuning by Synergy Racing (a Rolex Cup race team), Cobra carbon racing seats, OMP 6 point harnesses, a GMG rollbar, Cargraphic GT3 Cup front bumper and spoiler, Cargraphic GT2 rear wing with ram air, and a few other odds and ends. I really enjoy it. But this is a Z forum, and I have loved 240Zs my entire life. I've never been able to afford to even keep one after I got it running, let alone make it into the car I always dreamed of. Now, I can. God is good. I am more excited about this Datsun than I ever have been about a car.

Rock on.