HybridZ

How many of you routed your PCV into the intake?

streeteg

On my honda a lot of guys switched the PCV to a mini filter...Anyway as I wrap up my FMIC install i have some extra piping that I made a short intake for so that I can fit a filter in the engine bay cleanly under the piping. I was wondering if I should weld in a bung to run the PCV through the intake or just pop a filter on it and call it a day? Any reason not to?

I like the idea of having it connected but I don't like running it directly into the intake because the oil vapor leaves everything inside the turbo, charge piping, intercooler, and intake manifold coated in a dirty oily film. I would run a catch can of some sorts in between the pcv port and the intake to try and catch some of that oily crap.

A good idea is to get a small in-line air filter for a compressor that has the blue silica balls. they turn dark pink when they've trapped too much moisture, and they work exceptionally well at crystallizing the oil so that it's trapped and doesn't go into the intake.

Plus they're small, and can be found anywhere.

Making one with baffles, a filtered exhaust port, and a draining petcock valve is probably better in the long run, though.

i've been running mine straight atmospheric with no filter for the longest time. then finally i got tired of my eyes burning so i just ran a hose under the car, my pcv valve goes to my intake manifold as it should, then it runs to the other valve cover as it should. the idea behind it is to release out the positive crankcase pressure. when the motor's under vacuum it's sucked through the intake plunum, when you're under boost, it's sucked through the turbo's intake pipe. best idea in theory is to use a catch can then run it to the turbo's intake. but atm i'm just running a hose to the top of the driver side valve cover that dumps the fumes under the car cause i'm tired of my eyes burning from the crankcase fumes =]

i get no oil out of my valve cover...and have never gotten any oil out of any of my rb25's until my motor popped.....if you're getting a lot of blow by....you might wanna check your tune and amount of boost you're running....if you're already getting it, the dmg is done, just make sure you don't make it worse....my .02

i found out why that motor popped also. the profec b wants you to T off the fuel pressure regulator hose. well my T cracked, thus my boost controller wasn't getting the proper pressure causing it to up the boost, and my fuel pressure regulator wasn't getting enough boost to raise the fuel pressure...therefore UBER LEAN KABLOOEY :D....now i use a metal vacuum T on my fpr....that's 4 cents :P

Dave =]

I was wondering if I should weld in a bung to run the PCV through the intake or just pop a filter on it and call it a day? Any reason not to?

I bought a Norgren filter/seperator off eBay for about $9 total new with mounting bracket and attached it to the firewall. Its all aluminum with a sight glass and drain cock. Ran the PCV line to it and from the filter/seperator to the manifold, it works well.

There's a link on the Acura TSX forums illustrating how many ml or fl.oz of oil you'll collect in the oil separators. it's nasty to think that your intake tract is being coated in that stuff.

Naturally the intake starts to get covered from oil and the oil works its way back all the way to the filter. Apparently, this lowers intake temps just a touch because gasoline cannot adhere to the pits and valleys of the port walls, which is why porting and polishing is not a complete polish, right?

Something to think about. probably not a whole lot, but just a little. :P

• 2 weeks later...
There's a link on the Acura TSX forums illustrating how many ml or fl.oz of oil you'll collect in the oil separators. it's nasty to think that your intake tract is being coated in that stuff.

Naturally the intake starts to get covered from oil and the oil works its way back all the way to the filter. Apparently, this lowers intake temps just a touch because gasoline cannot adhere to the pits and valleys of the port walls, which is why porting and polishing is not a complete polish, right?

Something to think about. probably not a whole lot, but just a little. :P

Going super slick on the intake side after the injectors causes drivability issues since the fuel doesn't wet the walls the same as a standard head. Slick on the exhaust doesn't net a whole lot of benefit, but you can go a tad smoother just to avoid too much exhaust scale.

I think ventilation is fine as long as you find all the vents and make sure there are none that are routed into the intake plumbing (with a check valve). They could pull air from atmosphere through the catch can, through the valve cover and then into the line still routed to the intake piping somewhere. That'd be unmetered air.