HybridZ

LS1 conv fuel pump question?

I am using my original '76 280Z gas tank with larger AN fittings for my LS1 conversion. Sparks280ZT is selling a walboro 255 lph fuel pump and I tried searching, but maybe I used the wrong key words. Is there a specific pump to use or is this one from Matt good to use?

I actually live in Lincolnton. My car is up near Welcome/Midway off of 52 at Mark and Roddy's garage. Where does a surge tank go? Is it better to get a different tank then use the stock one?

Mine would have to be boiled, cleaned and tapped with a large fitting, so I have nothing against a better way to do it. We talked about fabrication for a fuel cell, but that wasn't really in the budget.

I actually live in Lincolnton. My car is up near Welcome/Midway off of 52 at Mark and Roddy's garage. Where does a surge tank go? Is it better to get a different tank then use the stock one?

Mine would have to be boiled, cleaned and tapped with a large fitting, so I have nothing against a better way to do it. We talked about fabrication for a fuel cell, but that wasn't really in the budget.

Mark and Roddy will do it right. If your car sees any track use, I'll bet you will need a surge tank. It goes anywhere between the gas tank and engine. It will be fed by a low pressure pump and the high pressure pump goes between the surge tank and the engine. Roddy will know.

I am using my original '76 280Z gas tank with larger AN fittings for my LS1 conversion. Sparks280ZT is selling a walboro 255 lph fuel pump and I tried searching, but maybe I used the wrong key words. Is there a specific pump to use or is this one from Matt good to use?

Scott,

My car runs a Walbro 255 and it works fine. I am using an Aeroquip FPR.

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_055.jpg

I have the 75-76 gas tank in my car and I do find when I get down to less then 1/4 tank, it will suck air in a hard corner. Not a big problem unless you will see alot of autocross or track time.

A surge tank is a small, additional tank that feeds from your tank and keeps a full supply of fuel at all times. Do a search for Surge tanks. There is plenty of info here on them.

David,

I noticed you don't have a vacume line to your regulator. I'm about to finally get my ls1 project moving and I was wondering about the vacume port on that regulator. I have the same regulator.

Any thoughts?

i'm running the same setup [pump, regulator] as quick240z except i do have the vacuum line plumbed from the regulator to the vacuum port at the rear of the intake manifold. if i remember correctly it helps the regulator to more accurately do it's job [i know, that doesn't sound technical but it's as good as i can do...].

smoorenc,

I do not want to hijack your thread, but your question brought about another issue Mark and 1tuffz pointed out. I have a 77 Z, JCI/Walbro Pump (I need to check my fuel pressure regulator for a vacuum port) and it looks just like qwik240z set-up. What fuel pressure regulator ? and/or is a vaccum line needed?

i'm running the same setup [pump, regulator] as quick240z except i do have the vacuum line plumbed from the regulator to the vacuum port at the rear of the intake manifold. if i remember correctly it helps the regulator to more accurately do it's job [i know, that doesn't sound technical but it's as good as i can do...].

The shop that installed my fuel system explained it to me like this. The vacuum port (if used) would get hooked up to the intake plenum. When there is a rise in vacuum in the intake the FPR will reduce the fuel pressure. They said that the LS1 wants to see constant fuel pressure and it is not needed. I really don't understand this stuff too well but why would you want to drop the fuel pressure? My car seems to run fine without it hooked up.

I have the C5 Vette filter that has a built in regulator. The LS1 is setup for constant pressure and does not require a vacuum line plumbed to it to reduce pressure, like that of an OEM Datsun regulator on a 280Z and many other vehicles. I also like the C5 F/R setup, as I can mount the pump in the rear with this setup and only run 1 line up to the motor. I like clean and "less stuff".

I am using stock 280ZXT fuel pump on both of my Ls1 swaps without any problem. I am using the C5 fuel filter/regulator just like Savage. Don't need to spend extra money for the adjustable regulator.

Talking about clean and less stuffs have you think about flipping the fuel rail so that you can run the fuel feed line to the rail from the passenger side? I am going to try to do this on my Ls1 swap Z this weekend. Will let you know if I run into any problem.