HybridZ

1990 n/a z32 ignition chip blown again

datfan

Guest Chrispy

Yes there was a recall in the US for the series 1 PTU, are you using second hand ones? Do yourself a favour and grab a series 2 ('93+). DO you have the earth on the upper plennum attached? That's how I blew my first one. :-(

Yes there was a recall in the US for the series 1 PTU, are you using second hand ones? Do yourself a favour and grab a series 2 ('93+). DO you have the earth on the upper plennum attached? That's how I blew my first one. :-(

thanks for the reply...one from nissan dealer 2 weeks ago, so i will assume that it is a series 2..2nd one junkyard so i do not know the series...forgive my ignorance..where is the ground on the upper plennum?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

i'd like to add a bit to the area of the PTU recal. that recal must have been ended because i tried to have the dealer give me a free series two and they wouldn't do it. they said my car had no recal. it's a 1990, and i know it had the series one, because i needed an adapter to get the new one to fit

• 1 month later...

If you are blowing PTU's like you said, then something is crossed where wires are connecting with each other. It takes a lot to kill a PTU, something has to be crossed either in the subharness (the small harness that attaches to ptu from sub harness connectors). Seen a lot of folks hardwire in the PTU connections and screw that up. That may just be your problem if it is your "PTU".

Now there is also a fusible link relay if that is what you mean. It's in the small fuse box next to the battery. It is the largest one that is closest to the side rail.