HybridZ

Gotta Cruise Control Question...

tommyboy

It's a function of the way the speedo is built - there's a mechanical interface in the speedo. You can't change it without going to the '79 speedo which reads higher - but to change the mechanism, you must pull the dash, remove the speedo and do some surgery on it. I bought a '79 speedo and was about to do this, but decided to just re-install my '83 speedo. I still have the '79 speedo on the shelf (yes, it's available).

Just an aside - I don't know any place where the speed limit is over 80 so I'm not sure why it matters (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more). On the freeway between here and Denver (75 MPH limit) I set it at 81 and everything works fine, although due to the age of the unit it deviates from the set speed more than I'd like.

Yeah, it's not that I'm gonna go much faster than that all the time, though sometimes on the highway (especially here in AZ), the flow of traffic can be up to 90. It's just that I'm one of those guys who would like to have the option if I wanna use it. Also, the previous owner of my car installed a Heads Up Display on it, which registers speeds greater than 85mph, so I don't really even use my speedo anymore.

You DO NOT have to take out the dash to replace the speedometer -just drop the steering wheel and remove the instrument cluster.

Of course you DO have to put the speed sensor from the existing speedo into the '79 unit in order for Bitchin' Betty and the cruise to work.

I KNOW - I've done it.