HybridZ

Mounting difference for early and late 240Z bumpers?

deja

Well things rarely go as planned. I thought the combination of the MSA fiberglass early 240Z bumper and the mega-dollar mounting hardware from Datsun Spirit would simply bolt on……………WRONG. I don't know if there is a mounting difference between early and late 240Z bumpers and if so the Datsun Spirit mounts were intended to use late 240Z bumpers. But they do not line up, not really even close. So I cut out the MSA brackets, made new brackets to mate up to the the Datsun Spirit mounts and glassed them inside the bumper. The side mounts on the 240Z bumper is not even close to the mounting hole on a 280Z, I knew that going in. And the body on the 280Z has a double walled fender/inner fender which I didn't really want to drill through to use a nut and bolt. So I cut out the MSA fender mounts and glassed in new ones that will allow me to use the stock 280Z mounting nuts. These do show a bit below the bumper sides but not much.