HybridZ

Removing the last row of a 3 row pulley

X64v

As the title says, is this possible? I've got a factory 3 row pulley on the front of my '73 l24, and since I'm not using the last row, I figured I'd see if it came off. It appears to be bolted on, but removing the two bolts didn't free it up. Is it an interference fit, or do I need to remove the crank pulley bolt, or what?

As the title says, is this possible? I've got a factory 3 row pulley on the front of my '73 l24, and since I'm not using the last row, I figured I'd see if it came off. It appears to be bolted on, but removing the two bolts didn't free it up. Is it an interference fit, or do I need to remove the crank pulley bolt, or what?

I can't help ya except to perhaps suggest rust adhesion?

It's certainly possible. I didn't want to pry on it too hard though, just in case I did need to unbolt the center bolt, or if it didn't come off at all. For what it's worth, the main and center pulleys spin straight and true, while this last row has always wobbled just a little, which would indicate to me that it is in fact removable.

My L24's pulley had the third groove bolted on via 2 bolts in the front. I believe it was added by the dealer during the A/C install. The main bolt into the crank doesn't have any affect on the outside pulley.

My guess is that it hasn't been off in more than 30 years and will need a little help to come off. Puller?

Ah, there we go, exactly what I was hoping for. My z came with dealer installed a/c, and I was wondering why it would be bolted on if it didn't need to be.

I'll work a little more at it, I didn't try too hard just in case it wasn't just bolted on.

Thanks a bunch :2thumbs:

Quite alright, I was just about to post my conformation of your correction. After the thing wouldn't budge, I decided to pull the whole pulley/damper assy. off to use a puller on, and once I cracked the main bolt loose, voila, the third row was loose.