HybridZ

How to wire up 3 or 4 wire O2 sensors

1 fast z

a 4 wire is heated O2 sensor... most of the time a standard GM universal sensor...three wires most of the time are NOT universal....they have specific plugs for specific applications....

one goes to sensor

one goes to power

and two go to ground i believe

most uni's are one black, one white, and two grey

the black is the sensor, the white is the power, and greys are ground.....

***im not 100% sure, i forget this stuff easily.***

• Administrators
I would suspect that one wire is the sensing, one is ground and one is ignition hot. But how do I know which ones, and what is a 4 wire for?

If you're looking for generic NB info... frequently 3-wire sensors will have two white wires and one black. The Black wire is the sensor output, and the two white wires are the heater. The heater has no polarity.

Four wire sensors have an additional ground... sometimes its gray.

HTH,

• Administrators

most uni's are one black, one white, and two grey

I've seen that color combo before but, just for clarification, Bosch's colors are different than the brand you're referencing. From Bosch's website... "All Bosch 4-wire sensors have a black wire for the signal, a gray wire for ground and 2 white wires for the heater"

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Resources/FAQS/OxygenSensors.htm

Yes, Volvo used 2 white tefzel wires (very nice!) on a Bosch-Injector style plug (hint for those sourcing their own 'Noid Light' pieces in the JY) as heater, with the signal separated in a shielded wire and it's own connector.

Generally I will NOT wire the O2 Sensor to the Ignition Circuit. I will wire it off the Fuel Pump Circuit. This way, it only gets power when the car is running. I was shocked that the MSEFI forums had changed to following that advice some time ago. Makes sense to me...

I went with a four wire off a thunderbird, but if you're going new just go to autozone (or any other place you can get parts cheap) and get a universal 4 wire (or 3 wire if you must) from bosch (or ngk).

Here's a link to the thread I posted about finding out which wires go where.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124853&highlight=o2+sensor