HybridZ

young fellow needs help (to buy or not to buy)

sone

hi guys i havnt posted in a while but I was wondering what are the main thing i should do. I am going on a trip to texas and while I am out there I am going to see about an l28 for a good price. When I asked about it, this is the response and images he supplied me with. although i see a rust spot already.

"This engine is sitting in the garage before I bought my house .I just think this is rebuilt or new .because it is still sitting in the pallet un-touch.I still once in a while rotate that the crankshaft ,to make every thing is perfect.if you in the area I'll be proudly show this engine to you."

my thing is i dont want to be the young guy who got ripped off, so i was wondering whats a good price do a swap for the one i have in my 1977 and what things would you look for if you were me, It looks decent from what you can see but I think anyone can put any hunk of junk on a pallet and spay paint the top and say i dont know, lol

thanks for response in advance

01150001020701040920071022fea2e78b4.jpg

0115120103060116062007102228def168f.jpg

incase they dont show

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m125/djuniorboy/01150001020701040920071022fea2e78b4.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m125/djuniorboy/0115120103060116062007102228def168f.jpg

1- the one i have is good, i just needed to replace the head gasket and 2 injectors but i wanted to get it rebuilt but everyone says $1200 to rebuild

2- what do you mean by castings? (dumb question i know)

3- I plan to replace the l28 i have for this one, i bought the car with it saying 19,ooo miles but although it probably only 119k im beginning to think it has 219k miles

4- hes selling it for $400 but so i figured if it is legit, and its rebuilt i can use the money i saved towards replacing other needed parts of the car, instead of dropping the whole $1200 on just a rebuild

by castings, he means the block casting and the head casting.

Block casting number can be found just above the drivers side engine mount, should be N42 or F54.

Cylinder head casting number can be found near the bottom of the head between spark plugs 1 and 2. should read N42 , P90, N47, etc, one letter, followed by 2 numbers.

If all you are getting is the long block of questionable origins then offer him $100 for it. You should be able to buy a complete engine for $400.

It doesn't look to have a starter, so a compression test is out. So I would pull the head and check the cylinders. Also drop the pan and pull one of the main bearings to check for rust. If he doesn't want to let you do that then tell him to give you a call back when he does.

I still wouldn't pay much more than $100 for it.

thanks for the help guys, i just sent him an email asking about the casting with a copy and past of directions where to find them on the head, i have already rebuiilt my starter and alternator, but thanks for the responses, ill be sure to check the head. and check the castings of the one i have, hopefully they match (or would it matter?) the problem with finding it is that theyre easier to find over there then they are around here, ive only seen 2 pre 80's z's around here in the 10 years we have lived here, i was considerign the et swap but thought it would cost to much to have it done and then overhauled, so i figured i d replace the little L6 i have. ill make a note of all these things to check and appreciate the help so far, let me know if anything else

there are still 280ZXs in the JYs up here in west palm, and its only sixty miles.. U-pull and pay off of southern blvd (SR80) right near the turnpike charges 120 or 150 for a complete engine. I cannot recall if they actually have one in the yard right now or not, and their internet inventory is sketchy (i see cars stay on the inventory much longer than they are actually in the yard) but check them out.

http://westpalm.upullandpay.com/PriceGuide.aspx

There HAVE to be more junkyards between WPB and miami though... there are PLENTY of Z-car people down here, you just have to know how to "scale off the rust" so to speak, and find us :)

I will have to check with my family and see if we have any motors we can sell hanging about. It wouldn't be a fresh rebuild, but if you need a spare motor so you can have yours built, or even if you just want a core to have rebuilt, we might have you taken care of.

well he still hasn't responded, and i did find a few more jy's dont here, i guess i should just look harder, i appreciate the help and let me know if you do have it, or if you might have the 83-85 i beleive it is for the swap, i want to do all this next month "dec" so by january i can get the brown spots out and ride it clean, im not tryign to make it a show car, just clean enough to ride around proudly,btw thanks for the link, i never seen a yard site with actuall prices upfront, im guessing these are generic prices for any car? anyways thanks again, ill keep everyone posted on what this guy says