HybridZ

Maximum overbore on VG30

Russ84na

• 1 month later...

Just so you guys know...

You are not supposed to bore out a vg30 (87mm) to the 3.3 liter diameter of 91.5mm

The water passages are moved outward from the bore on the VG33 blocks. This is to give the block more meat between the cylinder walls and the water passages.

Now, is it possible? probably. Will it hold a ton of power? Probably not.

• 1 month later...
Guest asheweb

The 3.3 block just has a longer nose, hence the end of the crank is a little longer which would make the crank pulley out of line with the VG30's accessories.

It is possible to (a)machine the nose down so that a VG30DETT (or any VG30) crank can be used, or (b)to machine down the VG33 nose slightly and bore up the VG30 pulley slightly so you gain the advantages of a bigger nose. Either would allow you to use all of the accessories from your VG30.

My math might be wrong but, I'm pretty sure you would only have to remove 2.25mm from the cylinder walls to go from 3.0L (87mm) to 3.3L (91.5mm). I wouldn't think the water passages would be that close... but, i haven't had the head off of a VG30 or VG33 yet.

I am, however, planning to build a VG hybrid engine for my 93 SE-V6 4WD truck using the VG33 block. So, when i actually find one, I will be able to tell you for certain the differences between them.

You could also go to NissanForums.com and ask Mike (MorePower2)... he seems to know allot about the VG engines.

I hope this helps some.

Guest Sharkracer

I have 88mm wiseco's in my block making it a 3.1L. It looked like there's plenty of space between the cylinders, but like mentioned, there's spaces in there you can't see.

• 1 month later...

There is a reason Nissan made two different blocks for the 3.0 and the 3.3. The water passages are moved outward for the additional .3 liters. This is not a guess, it is a fact.

Can you take the 3.0 out to a 3.3? Probably. Will it be very strong? Probably not.