HybridZ

Steering shaft clearance

For those who used the JTR kit and the mounts they recommended, how much clearance do you have between the motor mount and the

steering shaft-the bar that goes diagonally down to the steering linkages.

My mount is either sitting on the shaft or is just that close, even with spacers underneath. I can turn the wheel no problem but I am worried about what might happen when the car goes over bumps, etc.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Thanks guys, but that means pulling the engine to get to that bottom corner of the mount...damn! I don't think I can just take off the shaft, grind the mount from underneath and put the shaft back in either...

Just when I have the manifold all bolted down and sealed up too!

Owen

Guest mattrp

I had this same concern because my mounts from napa had metal surounds around the rubber which almost hit the shaft. I just just the edge of the mount to be sure. Never had a problem with it. No marks on the shaft.

Matt

72 500Z

I took a dremil tool to mine, as I found out the way Owen did.... Motor was already installed. I place a spacer under the mounts and then took the dremil and cut the corners. I also had to unbolt the mount and jack the motor up with out the distributor cap on, to get enough clearance to work down at the mount.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest RyalC

OK, I want to do something unusual and learn from the "pain and suffering" of others. Could you be specific on what part of the motor mount y'all are talking about "trimming" and how much? I DON'T have my engine in yet (I will be using the JTR mounts) and I would prefer to modify them BEFORE I put the engine in the car wink.gif

Thanks.