HybridZ

f body t56 options

redneck1545

ok im searching the local junkyards and finding out they want WAYYYYYY too much for a tranny thats been dogged and somewhat ragged...all f bodys have been opened up quite a few times in their life and if they ended up in the yard most likely they were WOT at the time of impact so finding a good tranny has been hard enough but then you have to ask the inevatable question...how much for it...and so this is where im at im trying to open my options a lil...so here goes

1- does the tranny have to come out of a z28 f body or is there a regular stock camaro (non z28) that has the t56 option in it???

2- ANY other used flywheel options or machining that can be done a used flywheel without spending the 365 bucks for the ctf700107??? i think thats the right part # anyhow that outrageously priced flywheel ya get the picture...any other options?

3- last but not least ANYONE know where to find a complete t56 with clutch, shifter, t/o bearing, and bellhousing?? lol

thanks guys! hope you have some useful info for me soon!!!

The thought of buying a used t56, then having to drop another $1500 on an ineveitable rebuild, made me think a new, aftermarket unit was a good price.

The new ones have been redesigned and don't wear out as readily as the old ones. Plus they can be had with both electronic and mechanical speedo hook ups.

Not flipping cheap though.

The thought of buying a used t56, then having to drop another $1500 on an ineveitable rebuild, made me think a new, aftermarket unit was a good price.

The new ones have been redesigned and don't wear out as readily as the old ones. Plus they can be had with both electronic and mechanical speedo hook ups.

Not flipping cheap though.

Exactly. I did the cheapo route when I bought a used T-56 off eBay that was supposed to be good. I paid $1100 for it and had to buy the clutch assy.

From day one it would jump out of 3rd gear, it would whine in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear and it was super hard to downshift into 2nd.

I recently replaced it with a rebuilt unit from Rockland Standard Gear in NY. They replace all the know weak parts with the right stuff. They sell it for $1800 plus a $750 core charge.

I ended up selling my old one on eBay for $900 in as-is condition.

I got a complete stock Corvette Z06 clutch assembly including clutch, PP, T.O Bearing, Pilot Bearing and new flywheel for $320.

No it was not cheap but it finally feels good to drive. I don't have to keep my hand on the shifter when it is in 3rd anymore. Sure makes track days easier.

As for your question about which vehicles to get them from, all the 6 speed F bodies with the LS1 motor from 1998-2002 should be fine. The earlier F body 6 speeds had a different bell hosuing.

aight well wasnt wat i was hoping to hear but i guess it is wat it is ya know...any other options ...i gues i should have been more thourough on what im doing with the car...medium track time and occasional street use. full 12 point cage.. 1 st gen engine (67- 289 and a 71 350 about 400 horsepower on the 350 way less on the 289) but i need a lt1 t56 so my question is does a lt1 with t56 come in a base line camaro??? and i know people have gone cheaper with the tremec 5 speeds but speed shifting is inevetable so longevity is an issue right? i belive it is so i oppted for the t56 knowing ill never use 6th gear due to the 3.54 r200 out back so is there any option i have under 2k for a decent ride without being dissapointed???

yes, you do have options.

a)if you are stuck on the idea of a T56 then buy the cheapest one you can find and send it out to someone reputable (sp?). I bought a $400.00 LT1 T56 sent it to liberty gears, and for 1800.00 which included mikronite and cyro, i got a bomb proof box. (with no synchros on 1,2,3,4. On purpose)

Now, If I had it to do all over again.........

I'd,

B) get a t-5 and have it hotrodded. cheaper, lighter, and easier to fit.

look to the Mustabg folks to find out who does t-5's. I think MKelly has had 1 done. sounds bad but.........

SEARCH

luigi

i think im about up to my million mark on the search button trust me ive looked...i know about the tko but the idea of spendin the same 2k mark or more on a five speed doesnt appeal to the comparison on the extra gear and better ratios and the 400 (if i can even find one that cheap!!) t56 plus 1800 rebuild were up to 2200...plus 350 for the special flywheel up to 2550 plus master and slave and plumbin to them with fittings were at least 200 more on the lowest end possible(used m/c and s/c) thats all without provision for speedo im up to 2700 at least!!!! so basicly there is no hope for less than 3k for a properly working t56 installed and shiftable tranny...thats wat i figured still way out of proportion if ya ask me...

Look for any wrecked/parting out LT1 Firebird/Camaro complete, I found one and test drove it before I bought it, I then stripped it and parted out everything. The car cost me $2300 I parted it out, made my money back and another $2300 and still have some parts left, alot of work parting it out but a free tested LT1/T56 with 80K is the only way I could of done my Hybrid. You want the 93-97 T56 if you are bolting up to a first gen SBC, use the LT1 flywheel and clutch if it is a one piece rear seal, there is a couple of threads on this as I almost went 383 stroker but because of it being an externally balanced I couldn't use the Lt1 flywheel

My car is all together and I'm into the wiring right now, hoping to fire it up soon.

Greg

i think im about up to my million mark on the search button trust me ive looked...i know about the tko but the idea of spendin the same 2k mark or more on a five speed doesnt appeal to the comparison on the extra gear and better ratios and the 400 (if i can even find one that cheap!!) t56 plus 1800 rebuild were up to 2200...plus 350 for the special flywheel up to 2550 plus master and slave and plumbin to them with fittings were at least 200 more on the lowest end possible(used m/c and s/c) thats all without provision for speedo im up to 2700 at least!!!! so basicly there is no hope for less than 3k for a properly working t56 installed and shiftable tranny...thats wat i figured still way out of proportion if ya ask me...

http://www.ddperformance.com/T-56%20Transmissions.htm

The place above sells brand new T56's for $2400. Can't tell from the list if the LT/LS versions includes the mechanical speedo drive. So another 600-700 to finish it off and you are at the $3k mark.

T5's are an option, but the G force upgrade to make them bullet proof also makes them cost as much as the T56. Makes them louder and weight more too.

Tremec makes a GM version of the TKO that should be a straight bolt up to a first gen SBC. Just get any ole SBC clutch and bellhousing and bolt this up like it was a Muncie. They have both mechanical and electronic outputs. All for only $2K. The TKO is suppose to be bullet proof, but a lot of guys don't like them much. Pete Paraska had one for a while and got rid of it.

http://www.ddperformance.com/Tremec%20Trans.htm

Only real way to save money is to roll the dice and get a used unit.

thanks guys for all the input...right now im in the middle of putting the ole Z on hold till i can build the funds...so im building my old 89 camaro. well not really building it but taking out the POS v6 that someone totally freaking rigged up to make it work in there and replacing it with a 350. im still debating an automatic as i went to the local pull a parts yard an picked up a 700r4 with converter an 30 day warranty for 90 bucks so i figure hey i can blow up about 10-12 of those trans before im at the mininum 2k mark for any t-5 worth a crap...still HATE the idea of a automatic z car though. but thanks for all your inputs ill try an keep ya posted on the build!