Perf Head Gasket

Vortec Aluminum Heads

Edelbrock Victor Jr Intake

Roller Rockers

Holley 750 Cfm Carb

10.1 compression

I'm New To The V8 World.....will This Set Up Produce 400+hp

Or Is This Horseshit....

I seriously don't think it would be 400+ HP. I'd bet it's safe to say 350-375HP, but the thing about 400 SBCs is they have massive torque. My buddy had a 400 SBC in his 240 for 15 years, Pink Rods, forged pistons, serious head work, etc and it was about 325HP but put out 500 ft lbs torque. Torque is king!!

It is a 400 block with a 350 crank. So that is what, a 377?

Pretty big lift numbers on the cam.

Try a search on 377. Here is one that the guy was estimating 430 HP

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=66497

This one looks more race oriented

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=85468&highlight=377+dyno

So all that work and they still make less HP than a stock LS2 motor.

Damn.

IMO, There's a serious mismatch of components if an engine with 10:1 compression and that much lift on the cam can't make 1.1 to 1.2 hp/ci.

I'd guess that with good heads you should be at 400hp easily if it truly is a 400, but if it's a 377, you ought to get 400+hp if the build has good heads and the cam and intake are matched to the head flow and its TUNED WELL!

IMO, There's a serious mismatch of components if an engine with 10:1 compression and that much lift on the cam can't make 1.1 to 1.2 hp/ci.

I'd guess that with good heads you should be at 400hp easily if it truly is a 400, but if it's a 377, you ought to get 400+hp if the build has good heads and the cam and intake are matched to the head flow and its TUNED WELL!

Just bench racing, but if it's a 377, I would think you are just short but close enough. Depends on the cam, as others have said. It could be a lot of fun depending on what you are using it for.

Sbc 400 Block Bored 30 Over

4 Bolt Main

Steel 350 Crank

Hb&m 6" Rods

Kb Forge Pistons

Compcam 520 In/ 540 Ex

Moly Perf Rings

Perf Cam/ Main Bearings

Perf Head Gasket

Vortec Aluminum Heads

Edelbrock Victor Jr Intake

Roller Rockers

Holley 750 Cfm Carb

10.1 compression

I'm New To The V8 World.....will This Set Up Produce 400+hp

Or Is This Horseshit....

got some more imfo on the 377motor....

eagle steel 350 crank

eagle h-beam 6" rods

comp push rods

promag roller rockers

gm angleport fast burn heads (alum)62cc

manley valves

comp cam...gross lift 520 intake/ 540 exhaust, duration@.015- 282int/ 292exh

does this help a little.....

got some more imfo on the 377motor....

eagle steel 350 crank

eagle h-beam 6" rods

comp push rods

promag roller rockers

gm angleport fast burn heads (alum)62cc

manley valves

comp cam...gross lift 520 intake/ 540 exhaust, duration@.015- 282int/ 292exh

does this help a little.....

Those Fastburns are nice. I would say you are there.

• Administrators

In short, yes it can produce 400 HP. Will "your" quoted particular engine produce that sort of “peak” power? That entirely depends on how well thought out the combination of parts are, (and as already mentioned, including the “exact” cam specs) AND how well that combination is dialed in.

The long version. Yes, 377 Cubic inches of displacement, regardless of the badge on the valve cover, is more than capable of producing 400+ HP. HOW it produces that 400+ HP will be depicted by the “combination” of the parts and how they function in complimenting each other without being under or overly aggressive for the role this engine will play in your car.

Another often overlooked aspect is the “tuning” or “dialing in” of whatever combination. Just bolting on parts with “stage whatever” cam is no guarantee that the power plant will perform any better than a stock 5 liter TBI truck engine. The amount of time and care applied to the tune of those parts after it is up and running, (i.e. the ignition timing curve/map and Air Fuel Ratios), along with time spent researching the compatibility of the parts to be used, (parts chosen to meet a particular demeanor that owner/driver wishes the car to posses), is key in getting good performance. It has been proven time and again, many bargain built/assembled engines out performing engines with more aggressive and expensive parts, merely because the parts chosen for the budget project were a better match for each other and care was taken in "dialing in" that combination instead of just tossing a credit card to Summit racing for all the “Cool” parts.

Good luck,

Paul