HybridZ

ANYONE WANT 17 INCH PANASPORTS?

Guest LAYTON

Okay, here is the skinny, I'm John Layton. I am the manager of an America's Tire Store. Some of you know my company as Discount Tire, depending on were you live in the country.

I have been talking to the owner of Panasport. He has just finished a mold for a 16x8 wheel. I was asking him about 17's and he doesn't believe that he would sell enough to build them in an affordable one-piece wheel, like the 15's and 16's we see, currently only offers them in a high-end, race-only (expensive) 3 peice wheel!

I told him that I'm sure he would sell more of the 17 inch one-peice than any other if he made them.

Guys, here is our chance to pursuade him to build the wheel we all want.

However, I do need a little help. Please e-mail some persuasive replies to my work e-mail address. If enough people are interested I'm sure we can make it happen.

He asked me what offsets he should offer if we only had 2 choices. My 240 is really low with shortened struts and zg flares, I've cut the fenders so I'm only helpful on the strut side clearence.

So I'd like to come back at him with offset recomendations for lowered cars w/o flares and one for flared cars as well!!

Please e-mail me. I will forward all replies and beg, whine, and plead and we'll see what we the z lovers can get done. Please let me know what kind of clearence issues that you with adapters and 35-40mm offset wheels have had on the fenders and what is the most popular tire size you would like to use ie: 205-40-17,225-45-17 etc. Please send e-mails to

orp_05mgr@americastireco.net

thanks in advance

john layton

Guest Anonymous

John:

I would like a set of 17s. I was looking to purchase the brake kit offered by Arizona Z car which converts to a 5 lug pattern and would need at least 16 inch wheels to clear the calibers. He has the needed offsets to clear his brakes. The are 12.25 front and back with willwood calibers. i suggest building the wheels to accomidate that off set as the would likly clear and other combination as well. This could be then the ultimate wheel.

John

I'm very interested also. I have a stock 280ZXturbo. I'm sorry I don't know the offset. But I'm sure it would be the same at anyone who has a 280zx or 280zxt. Please let us know price of :eek: what you are speaking?

if i can encourage him to produce them they would be avialible to any retailer of his product,but with only 3 replys to my email adress at work and a few post here i dont believe we will be very encouraging

i kinda thought this might get more interest i know id sure love a set

the pricing im sure would be equally more than 15 to 16 somewere in the upper 2$$ but as i said i thought this would generate a little more interest

I also would be game for a nice 17in Panasport rim.

I Think though that a 17 by 8 wont cut it for me in the rear, maybe a 17x9 or 10 :D .

This setup will be on a 1973 240Z with ZG flares, and not sure on struts.

Mike

I love the look and lightness of the Panasports. Seems to me that there is a greater selection of affordable hipo tires in 17 inch sizes (though surely Bob, Dan and JohnC will disagree with me ;) ).

I am also poor though, so, unfortunately, not really the target audience for this thread. FWIW, my car has 17X8 20mm offset Konig Monsoons that fit perfectly. I do have 2.5 inch springs though. This size in that offset is pretty hard to find and I think it is ideal for a Z car with stock fenders. Many people opt for the popular Honda offset (40mm ?) and use spacers to adapt them to the Z. There is a tremendous selection of wheels for Hondas (obviously).

(BTW, I got my wheels and tires from DiscountTireDirect.com which, for some reason was the only place that had any wheels that I could afford in that size in the Z's bolt pattern :D )

Guest 240hybrid

What are the cost for the 17. Im looking for something like 17by8 or 9. also what are the prices on those 16 by 8. I dont know just what heigtht im interested in yet? thanks

mas has not yet finished the 16x8 final prices and offset figues yet ,and has no pics of a poss 17 the whole point of the thread is to pursuade him to build them.

the 15 to 16 comparro is tuff because of 510 and roadster app's and a 17 will be more of a z application only becuase of the couple inch bigger o.e. assembly

and please email you replys to me at orp_05mgr@americastireco.net so that i can fax them in to him eventually he will be so sick of seeing how mistaken he has been he will build them just so we quite bugging him

btw please only email till 12/29/02 after that i will be relocating to seattle ,old stumping ground and will have a new store email adress but i wont be giving up on this any time soon

• 3 months later...
Guest the_dj

I don't know what I'd do if a 16x9.5 was available. :shock: That would be unbelievable! 16x8 is nice, but I don't think I could justify the small 1" increase over my current 16x7's.

Sam

Guest jim@speednation

I just spoke with somebody at Panasport today on the phone.

They said the 16 x 8 wheels should be available in 3 to 4 months. They have made the molds for the wheels and now are trying to determine the proper backspacing for the wheels.

If you are interested in this size, I'd suggest calling and putting in your $.02 worth. The more people that call, the sooner they'll get the project going.

Here's the phone number: 310-373-0071