HybridZ

What do you guys think? I need your help!

Guest zfreakS30

Guest zfreakS30

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as a member, but I've been here reading for months now just loving the information everyone gives out and time is now here to buy my beautiful lady. This orange 1972 240 has been posted here on hybridz before, but its not here anymore and the price has come down. I'm planning on going to see it, but I want your guys opinion. Rust is my biggest concern and I plan on checking all the usual Z spots, but I have to admit I'm a virgin when it comes to buying a Z. So check out the link and tell me what you think about the picture of the underbody and if that coloration on the suspension arm looks rustish. Anyway, thanks again guys. I am eager to hear what you guys have to say.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/car/477393645.html

Sorry if you have to copy/paste, still figuring things out.

If it's not running, I would offer $1000 max, assuming he has clear title to it. Take a good look under the car, see if the floorboards and frame rails are intact. Open the hood and look along the sides of the engine compartment and along the front to see if there's any old crash damage. Pull up the carpet and look at the floorpans, check the spare tire well. If you see any heavy rust that is 'flaking', you have some severe rust damage. Also check the bottom of the doors, and the panels (doglegs) just behind the door. Plan on doing a complete rebuild of the engine.

Good luck.

Can't tell anything about the rust from those pics. Good news is it looks like original paint. So no new paint hiding old rust.

Go to http://www.zhome.com about half way down and read their advice for buying a Z and the list of common rust areas. Surface rust is not a big deal. Visibile holes and bubbles under the paint are a concern.

Take a screw driver and jab at the floor boards and around the battery box. If the screw driver goes through, that whole section needs to be cut out and new metal welded in.

Car has straight bumpers.

$1000 would be a good deal if the rust is as he says. Rebuilding the top end, or even buying a complete running motor that someone has sitting in their driverway, would not be a big deal.

What they said, plus, don't forget the lid area under the hatch, and the hatch itself. Check the firewall closely.

Don't be afraid to pull up carpet to check either. It's not hard to put in and take out. Better now than later, and if he doesn't like that idea, pass.

He says it's not running...just make sure it HASN'T been driven around with that blown head gasket and coolant in the oil. Otherwise that engine's not worth much.

Good luck!