HybridZ

What size stereo will fit in an S30 ?

Can the center faceplate on a 1973 240-Z fit a modern "Full-DIN" size stereo? If not, can it be cut bigger so one will fit?

Can anyone confirm that the depth of the slot of the stereo on an S30 Z car is 7 inches?

It sure would help to know the maximum dimensions I've got available to work with when trying to find a stereo to fit my Z.

Thanks!

Jake

I actually fit a 1 DIN deck with a LCD screen into my 240Z....problem was that when the screen opened upward it hit the center dash (heater) console. Real bummer, I tried everything to make it open to position but it didnt look right nor did the deck have enough adjustment built into the screen Took it back to Best buy....so much for bling.

crutchfield.com has an excellent website to determine compatability. If you buy a stereo from them, they will include the cable adapter to plug it right into the factory wiring.

You've obviously never sat in a 240Z.

Single Din Only. Period! A 2 din is called a Double din and it measures about 7" X 7" and there is NO way it'll fit in a 240Z.

No adaptor cable or plug for a 1973 240z or any year 240Z.

The cage needs to be centered and use a scribe or sharp instrument to outline the cage onto the radio area. cut it out using an air saw or small hack saw. BE CAREFUL because the plate can break and then your screwed. and nobody wants to go thru replacing the heater control/radio plate.

1) Use one of the 2 center console hold down bolts for your ground.

2) Yellow wire of the deck can be attached to the cigarette lighters power wire (Blue/white stripe)

3) the radios red wire will go to the blue ignition wire that normally powers the radio.

4) if the new radio has an orange illumination wire and you want the radio to dim when the lights are turned on, connect it to the red/blue dash light wire located near the blue ignition wire.

5) you'll need to trim some metal on the inside of the frame work where you cut the hole out for the radio. Occasionally, the metal needs a little trimming in order for the radio to fit snuggly.

You will also need to run your own wires for the speakers. The two white wires are for the single speaker won't make the grade.

Make sure you lock the cage of the radio properly so the radio does'nt flop around in the dash. You may need to file a bit to get the cage in there nicely.

here's a couple pics for ya.... The first is of my wheel well enclosure with a 12" MTX sub. I also have power windows, power locks, XM Radio, front kick panel speaker pods, rear 5 1/4" speakers and 4" door speakers.

4921zsubtools.jpg

power window kit in and works great wire time_thumb.JPG

slimline actuator in_thumb.JPG

right front speaker pod and Honda blower motor_thumb.JPG

door panel on  no more window handle_thumb.JPG

pic of dash and radio_thumb.JPG