HybridZ

Energy Suspension Bushings

I am trying to re-asemble my rear control arms to the strut tower with the energy suspension polyurethane bushings. I got the drivers side together somehow but am having problem with passenger side. The strut tower spcing , where spindle pin goes through, is approx 5 3/8 inches wide. The control arm opening is about 5.5" but when you put the bushings in the control arm the opening is reduced to 5 1/4 inches. How do you compress the bushing that 1/8 inch to do the assembly. Trust this makes sense. On the passenger side I managed to use a a large clamp to compress one side and somehow got lucky and got it to mesh. No such luck on drivers side. I presume there is an easier way. I have only installed the inner bushings on the control arm and think it is easier to install outer bushing and inner metal sleeve after the control arm and strut tower are meshed; then put spindle pin through unit. I tryed compressing the bushings in the control arm with a clamp overnight in the hope that once the clamp was removed the bushing would stay compressed long enough to install but no such luck.

this is going to sound silly but... (and just to clarify, this is the two slots that hte spindle pin that attaches the strut to the control arm we're talking about) ...did you remove the little metal sleeves from factory that are in the holes? You have to remove a similar piece from front contorl arms as well. It's a little metal cylinder on hte inside that's pressed in.

When I did mine my car was in a similar situation as yours but I put the rear suspension in place on the car to support everything. What is funny is how cursing is so uneversaly used but never seems to work (never has worked for me and I try it all the time).

Dragonfly

From the description I'm still not exactly sure what your are referencing; are you talking about reconnecting the Hub (which houses the spindle bearing) to the Strut Assembly?

If this is the scenario you're talking about, as this was the only troublesome part I experienced when I put my poly-bushings on, then you can take a die-grinder & cut a little wedge on the hub where the Strut Assembly Bushings slide on.

Grind on the edge of that Hub ear...whatever you call it-hope this is clear. MAKE YOUR GRIND ABOUT AN INCH IN LENGTH; DO NOT GRIND AROUND THE ENTIRE EDGE as you want the remaining 95% of the bushing surface to be flush where it mounts.

This little wedge you grind away will allow your bushing to slide over the Hub: as it creates an angle in your favor. It is still a stout fit even with the slight metal you grind away, but that little cut will help put the odds back in your favor.

BTW: only grind on one of the Hub's bushing housing ears...dont grind much-just enough to allow the Strut Assembly Bushings to, with some elbow grease, slide on where they belong. Just grind a little at a time then try to muscle the Strut Assembly on. If the Hub/Strut Assembly doesnt go on-then grind a little more and try again. Remember you dont want the parts to go on easily-so dont go crazy w/the die grinder.

Hope this helps.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

The inner metal sleeves on the control arms are a major pain to remove but I did. The new bushing fits fine in the control arm but the bushings have an outer rim that extents beyond the control arm about an 1/8 th of an inch. The energy suspension bushings system requires 4 bushings for each outer control arm. Two insert from the outer side of the outer control arm and have an outer poly washer and metal washer that are compressed by the end nuts on the spindle pin. The two inner bushings on the outer control arm are compressed agains the strut tower. It is this compression against the strut tower I am having difficulty achieving. Need to get my digital camera active and figure out how to post pictures to enhance explanations.

Here is what I did to get mine in:

I used a large pry bar to get past that 1/8" lip then a very smooth and long drift punch inserted into one side to line it up. After it was lined up I was able to push the spindle in through. I also used a floor jack to hold everything "up" while I put the spindle in.

Almost forgot one thing, while using the pry bar to get past the lip on the bushing I put grease on both side of a 2" wide putty knife and used that as a surface to slide the control arm over so I would not damage the lip on the bushing.

Dragonfly

I also found that once the Urethane bushings and

inner sleeves are in the control arm, it won't fit

on to the strut!!! so the fix is to put only the

outer bushing and sleeves in the control arm.

Now put a one foot long piece of 5/8" all thread

rod through the control arm and put 2 nuts and

washers on the inside and spread the opening so

it measures 5 1/2" from the inner faces of the

control arm (there are no inner bushings). Now

once the threaded rod is removed the control arm

will spring back some. Using the threaded rod

again put the inner bushings in place on each

side and with the nuts and washers pull the inner

and outer bushings and sleeves in place. The

control arm between the bushings now should

measure 5 5/16" If you still need to spread the

opening some DON'T DO IT WITH THE BUSHINGS IN

PLACE the force of spreading the control arm will

tear up the bushings.

Yup, Energy Suspension bushings are a pain in the butt. I wouldn't go as far as grinding metal away from the hub. If you have to grind anything away, use some sand paper with a block of wood and take 1/32" off each inner bushing until you can force the control arm in place with just a little elbow grease. I personaly didn't have that much trouble with mine. I just used some thin metal putty knives with grease on them to ease installation. Remember to put on the poly bushing lube, otherwise you will end up with unwanted squeeks from the metal rubbing on the poly bushings (I HATE squeeks!). If you end up squishing most of the poly lube out during assembly and it squeeks, then here is what I did. I used a small phillips screw driver and heated it up cherry red. I then inserted the hot small screw driver into the inner poly bushing (between the control arm and hub), making a small slot in the poly bushing. I then used a toothpick and dipped it in the poly lube, and placed the lube in the little slot that was just made. Then you take the whole assembly and work it back and forth as far as it will go, in both directions. This will smear the lube out evenly between the inner bushings of the control arm and the hub. Viola! You will have no more squeeks. On a side note, I don't think that the small slot (the size of a toothpick) in the inner bushing made any difference in it's function as a bushing. Yes, dirt may get in there, but dirt gets everywhere anyways.

I just read my post and if you think you will have any problems with squeeking, then make a small notch on the inner poly bushing before you put it all together, so you don't have to use the hot screwdriver method.

!M!

Thanks for all the thoughts. Shaved a bit off outer edge of each bushing and was able to squeeze on. Got the spindle pin through one side but having minor problem lining up the other side. One of those items where a second set of hands is helpful. Anyway gave up cursing and decided to finish tonight. Next step compress new springs and assemble spring strut assembly and then install. Hopefully the balance of the bushings are easier.

Dragonfly

What is funny is how cursing is so uneversaly used but never seems to work (never has worked for me and I try it all the time).

As a motorcycle mechanic I have found that cursing usually helps the most when applied in combination with excessive force. Excessive force can be obtained when using crowbars, big hammers, pneumatic hammers, long wrench extensions, airguns, torches or any combination of the above.

When cursing you want to make sure you keep up on your profanity, racist remarks, sexual slurs, e.t.c. e.t.c. nono.gif

Later Thure malebitchslap.gif