HybridZ

'96 LT1 corvette engine (pic's)

hey guys, i bought a '88 chevy truck that has a '96 lt1 corvette motor , anyway

I bought this truck to pull the motor and use in my Z

SSPX0306.jpg

IMG%5DSSPX0304.jpg

Theres about 750 miles on the motor since it was rebuilt. bigger valves were installed and a grand sport cam making it a LT4?

This was a kids project that was never finished.. its about 95% done.

I've been driving the truck around breaking in the motor and im having a over heating problem but only when i go uphills and pull grades. Im not sure if the radiator is just too small (2 core) or the transmission fluid running through the radiator is getting hot making the coolant temp rise.

when i go uphill or about 220*(measured from the cyl head) the coolant in the reservoir is boiling out the cap vent line..

It might even be the installed height of the reservoir bottle? i know in the corvette the motor is higher than the radiator and coolant bottle/reservoir?

Might even be where the coolant reservoir is "TEE'ed into the heater hoses?

heres some more pic's of the current setup, all comments welcome

SSPX0303.jpg

SSPX0308.jpg

SSPX0309.jpg

SSPX0310.jpg

SSPX0311.jpg

SSPX0312.jpg

SSPX0315.jpg

SSPX0318.jpg

What are the two posts above all about?

The engine bay looks all cobbled up! You probably need to bleed the cooling system. Jack up the front end and take the radiator cap off and then let it run and top it off.

Did you get a good deal on the whole truck? Also what tranny is mated up to it?

Guy

The intake elbow and water pump are from a B-Body LT1 but the heads look to be aluminum.

Makes me wonder what this engine really is.

When you pull it from the truck drop the oil pan and let us know if it has 2 or 4 bolt main bearing caps. 2 bolts = not a Corvette engine.

BTW: What is a Grand Sport cam? I've heard of the LT4 cam refered to as the LT4 Hot Cam but not a Grand Sport cam.

Wheelman

yes i did get a good deal on the truck, traded for a dirt bike. lol..

I've tried bleeding the air out of the system many times and different methods

The trans is a "goodfellas" enforcer 700r4

I'm just tryin to get the bugs worked out before i pull the motor.

SSPX0295.jpg

SSPX0296.jpg

An LT1 motor with an LT4 cam is not an LT4, there are other differences as well.

http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/LT4.htm

As you're probably already aware there are problems using the Corvette accessories when installing the LT1 engines into our Z's. I'm not sure about you're overheating issues, but the hose routing does look overly cluttered. I would eliminate the breathers as well as all air the engine needs should be metered.

You may wind up ahead getting the problems worked out and selling the truck with the engine in it. The truck looks pretty nice and you could probably get more for it than it would cost to buy another engine for your Z.

Good luck.