HybridZ

T4 .58 p-trim spool

letitsnow

Ya, I was running it. I needed a little more. I went with a Precision (PT61) GT35R compressor with a P trim and .58. The compressor wheel isn't much larger (heavier). I have auto crossed it twice with this turbo but have no idea were it comes as there isn't time to look at the gauges. It makes boost fast in the rev range I use the car at though. I will get some in car cam of the tach, boost, ect in a few days so I can see exactly when it comes on.

If you are comparing a P trim/.58 to a stock T3 it will have a bit more lag. If you are comparing it to a full with a P trim/.68 it spools fast.

Ya think 4200? I can get 20 psi with a T72 P trim .70 on a 3L. I know that .58 is making 18 psi way before 4200 on the L28, even in second.

If you want bolt on then a T3 flanged turbo would be easiest. That .63 on the turbo coupe is the same hot and cold side as the S130, just a different turbine outlet bolt pattern. Z31 T3 is the same too. I wouldn't go buying parts turbos unless you are comfortable rebuilding them yourself to save money. You may end up with an expensive stock T3. What are your power goals and how much boost are you wanting to run? That would help you decide. With a turbo that will make more power expect some more lag. I also wouldn't run the stock hotside with a T4 compressor. Half the problem is the turbine side. My second Z turbo was a V trim/ stock T3 hotside. When I went to the V trim/ O trim .69 it made about 80 more hp. Look at the Holsets other guys have been running. They are fairly cheap.

I have no problem rebuilding my own turbos, as long as they don't have to be balanced and from what I've picked up they don't.

I'm looking for 300-350rwhp, which would put me right in the sweet spot of the V-trim compressor map. I just don't want it to be real peaky, the car will almost never see the drag strip, I've got a camaro for that.

I'm trying to do the motor on a real tight budget, so I'd like to use what I have if possible. Bolt on would be nice but I can weld so if I need to make something I can.

At what rpm does a stock or mildly modded zxt hit full boost?

How much power did your v-trim/.63 t3 make? With what kind of curve?

EDIT: is a t3 center section the same size as a small shaft t4 center section? How about a stage 3 wheel in the .63 t3 housing?

I remember my old T-66 .58 P-trim on a stock L28 longblock was around 4200 for full boost.

I kind of think about a turbo size as a large cam motor. With a big cam on an n/a car, you don't start making power until the high end of the RPM band... ofter 4200+ rpm's, same with a turbo of that size...

Ya, alot of people want that low rpm boost with a big turbo where on a high hp n/a car you wouldn't expect low rpm power.

I'll look for the dyno sheets. Yes the center sections are the same for T3-T4 unless it's a big shaft, which the T series stuff is (T66 ect). If you swapped to a T4 turbine on a T3 center you would need the T4 heat shield too.

Stock cam, exhaust 2.5" L28 12 psi V trim /stock T3 hotside.

Don't have the torque curve

12psivtrimt3fx5.jpg

Stock cam 3" L28 15-16 psi V trim / O trim .69 horrible fuel.

vt415psijw2.jpg

Stock cam 3" L28 22 psi V trim / O trim .69

vtrimt422psipz7.jpg

Not an L28 but similar in size and turbo

3l 7M 21psi T58 / O trim .70

t58o707m21psikt5.jpg

Clifton, from those dyno charts it looks like the .69/o-trim starts to spool at 3500 and hits full boost around 4200. Maybe an o trim with a .58 housing would be a good compromise. You said you just switched to a p trim, still got the o trim wheel?

I've heard the stage 3 t3 wheels way better than the stock ones, is that an option or a waste of time?

The parts I currently own are a complete t04b v trim and a stock l28et exhaust manifold.

Is full boost at 32-3500 and 350whp a possibility or am I just too used to looking at v8 dyno charts?

I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to help me.

I have video, just trying to figure out were the lowest rpm I'm at when it comes on. Most of the time my revs are up. I'll see if someone can host it full size so you can see.

On the O trim, .58. I would not do it. There really isn't a need to have full boost below 3000 rpms. If the compressor is suited for higher horsepower it will surge in the higher gears at those rpms. I've done it with a O trim .70 P T66 in 4th at 3500 rpms. If it were an n/a car one wouldn't expect much below 3500. Same should be expected for a decent sized turbo.

How about youtube, putfile or streetfire?

I've never driven a 280z even though I have two(one parts car), I bought it not running as a project. I don't know what to expect from the L6, maybe you're right and boost below 3000 wouldn't be necessary. All my experience is with SBC's.

I did buy the t3 to get the car running, can't get too hurt for $40 and it's a helluva lot better than the 1.32a/r P trim that came on my t04b. :) I'll probably setup an external WG if I can't find internal parts cheap enough.