HybridZ

MSA rear spoiler mounting

deja

I snagged a MSA BRE type fiberglass rear spoiler on EBay. It fits perfect and with little touch-up sanding required its ready to paint and mount. It came with some long sheet metal screws which I assume it what they intend for mounting but there were no instructions. I'm pretty sure I can do this without real instructions. But if anyone has some mounting ideas I could use that would be cool.

I recently bought a BRE spoiler from MSA after spending multiple hours trying to get that piece of sh*t that I bought from Paulo at Aeroworks to fit. Install of the MSA spoiler is easy. Mine had 2 metal inserts that were bonded into the bottom of the spoiler. You just drill two holes thru the bottom of the hatch and you bolt it on. The fit was near perfect and all that it required was a light sanding before paint. :-)

I recently bought a BRE spoiler from MSA after spending multiple hours trying to get that piece of sh*t that I bought from Paulo at Aeroworks to fit. Install of the MSA spoiler is easy. Mine had 2 metal inserts that were bonded into the bottom of the spoiler. You just drill two holes thru the bottom of the hatch and you bolt it on. The fit was near perfect and all that it required was a light sanding before paint. :-)

That would be nice, no inserts in mine. It had MSA and some numbers cast into the fiberglass so I assume is a MSA product. But it is NOS so who knows how old it is. I ended up laying in more fiberglass on the bottom and am using 6 hanger bolts threaded and glassed in. These will then be bolted though the hatch using big washers. I won't say this thing fits perfect, not as good as I originally thought, but it will be fine.

Are you using any sort of gasket to protect the body paint. I am really concerned about the ends that overlap the fenders, it fits pretty close there. I have removed some glass but I can't take too much off or it will get into the front flare.

Are you using any sort of gasket to protect the body paint. I am really concerned about the ends that overlap the fenders, it fits pretty close there. I have removed some glass but I can't take too much off or it will get into the front flare.

My spoiler came with 1/8" foam bonded to the bottom of the spoiler. I had removed this (which was a pita) before I sent the spoiler to the painter. When I installed it, I used some automotive double backed tape that I had laying around. I think it was about 1/16" thick or so. The ends that overlaped my fenders looked close too but I ended up with about an 1/8" gap after it was bolted down which seems about right (nothing hits when I close the hatch).

My spoiler came with 1/8" foam bonded to the bottom of the spoiler. I had removed this (which was a pita) before I sent the spoiler to the painter. When I installed it, I used some automotive double backed tape that I had laying around. I think it was about 1/16" thick or so. The ends that overlaped my fenders looked close too but I ended up with about an 1/8" gap after it was bolted down which seems about right (nothing hits when I close the hatch).

Man, I got no foam either! But we have all sorts of one sided adhesive backed foam at work I can use. That is my plan. If you used that 3M double sided tape I hope you never have to remove the spoiler, that stuff is super strong. I stuck two 1x24" pieces of aluminum together with it, realized I needed to take it apart but couldn't get it to separate no matter how hard I tired. I don't think you'll need to worry about the spoiler falling off, LOL. Thanks for the input.

just depends on how good the materials are prepped before taping... any pictures of the project?

Not yet. For the aluminum taping I had cleaned both pieces with acetone and used a roller to make good contact. For this project I had to pull the Datsun and 280Z emblems off the hatch. The previous owner and repainted the car but didn't fill the holes in the hatch. But he used tape to stick the 280Z emblem back on. I was able to use a screwdriver and carefully pry it off. I was surprised to see the tape since the Datsun emblem just used the stock inserts, no tape. The 280Z emblem came off easily because the back isn't flat so the tape didn't really make full contact.

If you used that 3M double sided tape I hope you never have to remove the spoiler, that stuff is super strong. I stuck two 1x24" pieces of aluminum together with it, realized I needed to take it apart but couldn't get it to separate no matter how hard I tired. I don't think you'll need to worry about the spoiler falling off, LOL. Thanks for the input.

No worries. They sell a solvent at most automotive paint stores that's made to take it off. The car had also been recently waxed so I don't think the bond is that great anyway.