HybridZ

VG30e with VG30DETT rotating mass revisited...maybe

HowlerMonkey

In 1996 nissan came out with a new crank for the VG30e because lame technicians cranking the belts unbelievably tight as well as the balancer bolt upwards of 350 ft pounds which would snap off the snout of the crankshaft in mid 90s nissan VG30e engines a few weeks after the service that resulted in the overtorquing.

I replaced a lot of them at VOB nissan and Hosemall in virginia in around 1994.

Nissan upped the diameter of the snout from .985 to 1.262 on 1996 and later VG30e engines which is the same diameter as the VG30DETT .......at least on the quest (confirmed) and most likely all of them (uncomfirmed).

They both share 2 keyways but differ in that the VG30e iteration had the six bolt crank flange.

I've seen people brutally shot down on other forums when asking this but still...........has anybody tried the Z32 rotating mass in the engines designed for the same snout size?

I've searched and searched but haven't seen any information on whether anyone has tried the swap on engines that both had the same snout diameter and keyways.

Are the internals on the VG30ET's in the Z31's the same as thoes in the later vehicles? I know that the W engines with the fully floating pins had non-interchangable components with the earlier ones, but were those internals the same as the later VG30's?

There's this fellow whom I asked for a price on his Z32 transmission and he later told me he had a bunch of rare parts.

He has brand new GTP ZX engines, as well as a used one.

He also has:

I have many exotic parts for sale from the late IMSA GTP cars. I have 2 complete GTP engines and many other impossible to find parts, turbo's,engine girdles,race heads.These are very expensive parts. Somewhat more affordable are some Z32 Carrillo rods with carr bolts,z32 crank with snout machined for z31 serpentine 3 pulley system,500 mile VG33 heads, a new z32 crank, 88 front fasia, Nismo race heads 1 of 50 made (with roller rockers).

maybe you wanna email him if that's what you're looking for? pm me for his info

I commnicated with the guy who has the parts or maybe it was the guy who sold the parts the guy who currently owns them but everything he has was pre 1996 when nissan made the change to the thicker crank snout.

His solution may no longer apply since it may be a bolt in solution rather than require machining if you buy the correct year cover, pump and the rest for this setup.

If I see a 96 or later quest today, I will check the crank snout thickness but I have alldata as well as mitchel on demand and they both say 1996 and later VG30e engines have the thicker snout.

I know Danny and Angel (the guys in georgia) put a vg33 in someone's car at Z31.com but I doubt they measured the snout.

The answer might be in FAST software or the fiche but I have neither.

I've been at Z31.com since 1997 and nobody there is aware of this but hybridZ seems to have people who are a lot more forward in thier thinking and open to new ideas.

If I posted this there, there would be a run on vagisil nationwide.

So your question involves the use of a VG30DE/DET/DETT rotating mass in a late VG30E engine that has the same diameter crank snout. Oops, I was thinking about those VG30E engines that have the smaller crank snout.

Anyway if its practical it sounds like a good idea. Z31.com may not like it though, they think the cast crank is indestructable :icon53: