HybridZ

Using a boost control solenoid as an IAC?

letitsnow

I’ve used the Bosch IAC valve and controller module I got off an early 1980’s BMW. What’s nice about is that it is a “stand alone†system. All the controller does is monitor the engine rpm at idle via the hot side of the ignition coil and uses a PWM amp in the controller module to regulate the air flow through the valve. You can even use a temperature sensor and have a “fast idle†when the engine is cold.

I put this on a Z car that I had installed the SDS fuel injection management system on, which completely ignores the idle speed function.

Do you have any pictures for when I go to the pick'n pull?

The Bosch idle speed controller and the idle air control valve were used on the 1982-1987 5 series and 3 Series BMW’s (318, 325 and 528).

The controller unit (module) is a small green plastic box (about 2" x 3" x 1" thick) that is located in the upper portion of the glove box area. Be sure to cut off the controller’s electrical connector from the wiring harness. This will make interfacing with the controller easier. The air control valve is silver and can be found in the engine compartment near the shock tower. Again, try to get the harness connector.

BWM_idle_controller_thumb.jpg

1984 BMW 325e Idle Control Module_thumb.jpg

Valve_thumb.jpg

I want everything to be controlled through the megasquirt though, I could probably just use that valve and have megasquirt control it via pwm then, right?

I agree that using Megasquirt to control the air valve is a better approach. The resistance of the BMW valve is about 10 ohms, so make sure that the PWM amp in the Megasquirt can handle 1.5 amps.