HybridZ

Sectioned Mustache Bar

LT1-280z

Just thought I'd share a picture of a mustache bar I sectioned to raise the rear of a R200 7/8". Notice the "Z" shape cut lines. I also lowered the nose 1/2" using a RT style mount. The MG600 TIG rod I used is intended for welding this type steel. It really set my drive line angles right.:-D

Mustache%20Bar%20Compare.JPG

The mustache bar bends like a spring, so it's not the best item to cut and weld. That said, it looks like you did a nice job modifying it. If you use one of the better front diff mounts like the one Ron Tyler designed, you might just get away with it. I would say that bar's days are numbered with a stock front mount and strap setup.

Good work.

That is a pretty extreme change. How much did it raise the back of the diff?

I did the JTR trick of drilling out the mustache bar mounting washers to raise the back end, I think 1/4 inch. I also did the RT front mount to lower the front. That got my engine pretty much level.

You must have raised the rear of the diff a good bit more than that.

Jon,

I was a little apprehensive doing this but since I had a spare and the drive line angle was out of whack, why not try? I followed a very specific process to weld this involving preheating to a specific temperature, interpass temperatures and controlled cooling by burying in perlite. Messer states MG600 is designed for this (not cheap stuff). I guess I'll see what happens over time. I've beaten on it for two months with no signs of trouble yet, Yes I also have a Ron Tyler inspired front mount.

DSCN0614.JPG Mustache%20Bar%20Weld.JPG

Pop,

The back is raised 7/8". when I installed my LT1 I naively ignored the drive line angles and mounted it as low and as far back as I could. 7/8" up in the rear and 1/2" down at the nose was what was need to bring it to less than .5 deg misalignment and 2 deg driveshaft operating angle.

If you've lowered the car any appreciable amount, you'll notice that you've also helped straightened out the halfshafts as well. I raised my differential 1" just for that purpose, but you also find that the vent tube may contact the subframe over the top of the differential.

Terry,

Yes, the half shaft angles are better, also with the pivot center of the inner CV is raised so when the car is up on jacks the outer CV's have plenty of clearance. Before this mod they were a pain to get the outer CV's off and on the flange. My VLSD R200 has the shorter metal vent tube. I could see how the taller plastic one would contact the frame.

Another thing this did was to increase oil capacity by almost 1/2 quart (using finned cover - non finned would be less) and sink the front pilot bearing more deeply in oil.