HybridZ

ZX struts housing on an s30

anyone put zx front struts on an s30?

obviously the spring perch is way too big making coilovers a must.

I know the zx tubes are 2"OD. and the s30 struts are a bit larger making coilovers harder to piece together. with the 2"OD cheap coilovers are available.

I was thinking of these cheap kits for the threaded tubes and collars and get some afco coil springs.

also I am going z31 5lug setup and was wondering if any problems with this setup on the zx strut. also will the wheels stick out 3/4" like with the s30 strut.

seems like a rotor spacer has to be made on either setup to get the 4 pots to fit. who makes them? and sells them without a $400 brake kit?

What ZX are you talking about? S130, Z31, Z32?

I think Stony hybridized some Z31 struts with some S30 struts. Search and you may find more info. I think the S130 is a tough one because the spindle comes off the strut at the wrong angle. No idea about if the Z32 would work. Does it even have struts?

Don't know about the ZX strut but there is a guy in Australia that has put a hybrid Mazda RX7 setup on the front of his 260z. Here are some pics and details that he posted on the viczcar.com site (all words below are his username is rbz 260)

RX7 front hubs, 4spot calipers, rotors and strut adapted to the 260z

normal_DSC00901.JPG

If they look wierd yes they are. They are off mazda Rx7 Series 5. I used rx7 hubs and struts as well and series 4 lower ball joint. custom spring on 260z top cap. ive grinded of the mazda writing and did a bit of personal touch.

normal_DSC00312.JPG

my setup may not be as easy for some guys but becuse i changed all heap of stuff it may be an option if doing similar things after.

my has 5 stud conversion and cv type driveshafts also power steering.

also wanted 4 pot cal at the front and disk at rear.

FRONT

i used rx7 s4/5 turbo calipers but catch is i also used rx7 strut and hubs. reason for this is i got power steering at the front and wanted 5 stud rims and 4 spot calipers. nothing from nissan stable could do the cut because of the power steering being mounted on rear. but rx7 does have at the front. also i wanted new type of struts with small bottom seat which also rx7 has.

so at the front i got vented 297mm rotors with 4 pot cal and ease of using rx7 coil over at later stage.

REAR

i got r200 lsd diff at the back and didnt like the uni type driveshafts. and the diff came with 4 bolt type cvs. also needing rear 5 stud i ended up getting comlete trailing arms from oz z31 turbo with rotors axles and calipers and handbrake cables. both for $200.

the deal was to use z31 axles with 5 stud.also turbo z31 has same companion flange as my r200 from r31 2 door.

i was hoping to find bearing that will fit 260z outside with 300zx inside. but problem was the early zed has imperial bearing size while z31 metric.

on the end i go tthe hubs machined to suit the bearings.

funny thing is the rear bracket that was welded was cut off and cleaned up but the holes actualy lined up to the 260z hub. anyway after machining

it all went together well..

yeah I was talking about s130 strut tubes.

I like the Mazda setup and I have a complete s4 to rob all the parts. The thing I don't like about it is that the strut does not have replacable cartridges. You have to replace the whole thing. So when you blow a strut you have to get a new and modify it again

The mazda calipers use a wider bolt spread but the same spacing as the toyo calipers so a flat plate with 4 bolt holes ant they will bolt rite on S30 or S31 strut housings. Less than 1/2 the weight too.

I really just want to use the s31 strut on the s30 so that after it is done new inserts are easily installed. I just got a new set of Koni D's don't ya know. The dimensions seem the same except the diameter of the tube is smaller on the s31 making coilover parts easier to find.

trade sides with the steering knouckle and the steering is changed from rear to front steer.

I guess I am really concerned about what Jon mentioned about the spindle being at the wrong angle, or sticking out farther, or another prob.?

I guess I am really concerned about what Jon mentioned about the spindle being at the wrong angle, or sticking out farther, or another prob.?

I remember another thread where someone was trying to get past that issue. Seems to me it was a couple years back. You might immerse yourself in the search function for a while and see if you can come up with it...

Is there a link to a site with more pics? Looks very interesting.

No that is every thing he posted (there are other pics of his car but none of the suspension/brake setup) I have sent him a PM weeks ago but no reply - either busy, does not want to answer or just has not visited the site in an age.