HybridZ

first post here, L28E/L28ET swap

cjames

Hi all, new member here. I posted in the new member forum giving a little info about me and my project. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127682.

So far, I got the ZX wreck home saturday, tore into it and found all kinds of fun things. The PO was still in highschool when he tried to put this all together, and he failed, hard... It's been sitting outside for 2 years.

He had the AFM in backwards, many wires not connected. He tried like crazy to get it going, cranking and cranking (so the story goes). He got real caried away with RTV on the head gasket, enough to plug the oil hole to the top end. There was a broken injector housing on #4, and it appears that rain has flooded into #4 intake over the years.

The cam towers are toast due to lack of lube (Braap did you get my email?), the cam and rockers are shot, and it has some stuck vlaves. At least rusted, maybe bent. The timing chain tensioner was installed wrong, and ate itself. I havent got the bottom apart, waiting to pick up a hoist this weekend. I cant wait to see what I find down there... At this point, if I can use the block, crank, and rods, I guess I'll be happy.

I'm dropping the head off with my machinist in the morning, I'll know more about that after he has a look. Also making a stop at my cam shop to see if we can save that.

The good news is that the turbocharger looks to be in good shape, with only one small nik in the compressor wheel. Doesnt look like its been leaking oil, and from what I can see, the shaft looks nice and clean inside. I'll be taking that apart for a rebuild and balance in the future. I also have a metric butt load of ZX parts to try and peddle on FeeBay that dont fit my '76. Let me know if theres anything yall might need. Theres a brand new, yes, brand new black dash in the car that the kid just bought. The 5spd and the 3.90 diff will be going in my '76 as soon as I find a proper driveline.

Heres a link to the photos of my mess sofar. More to come as things progress. http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/cjames_album/Zcar/L28ET%20donor/

I watched that car on CL and was very tempted. do you have a title? is the chassis ok or is it rusted out? I might want to get some parts from you after I finish the motor swap in my 76. I have 82 & 83 Turbo parts cars let me know if you need something maybe we could swap and help each other out.

Yea, I watched it on craigslist for over 2 months. I finally went and had a look. I looked it over pretty good, I offered him half his asking price, and he took it. Ive found a few things I wasnt expecting, but for the most part it was everything I knew it would be. I wanted the tranny, diff, and a core ET engine to build up. Ill post something in the project forum when I get a chance. I need to go through all the extra parts he threw in and start selling stuff to help pay for the engine overhaul. Im sorta over budget allready... I have plenty of time, My 76 is still running great as my daily driver.

Id call the chassis junk, but thats just me. But I did get a title, and a ton of parts that I cant use.