HybridZ

engine stuttered and will no longer turn over

So I was driving to school until I realized I forgot something at home and began to make my way back home. I was about 1 mile into my drive and only about 1/2 away from my house when my car began to stutter (somewhat like instant power loss) and my car stalled right after crossing an intersection . I made it to an open parking spot and waited for traffic to clear before trying to start the car to make my way home. After it was clear I started the car up again and it began to stutter badly and I was only able to get away from the intersection into a side street before the car stuttered and stalled again. At this point the car had some trouble turning over and it took several tries before I was able to turn it over. I was able to make my way home after driving it the remaining 1/4 mile with some severe stuttering/bogging at all rpms.

After getting the car back into my driveway I turned it off and took the backup car to school. Once I returned home, I tried to turn it over but this time I ran out of luck. I did some searching at ran into a few threads where people had similar issues with rust/gunk in the gas tank and/or bad fuel pumps. The fuel pump on my car does turn on but the fuel will not reach the other end of the filter (my fuel pump sucks fuel upwards and after this issue the fuel will not reach the top of the filter, only up to the middle).

I'm on a fairly tight budget after I put new tires on, full tune-up kit and just ordered new spark plug cables, ignition coil and spark plugs.

So I would like to know if...

Could this be a really bad crossfire symptom?

Carb issue, needs rebuild? they were somewhat out of tune

Fuel Pump?

Gunk in gas tank?

Any input would be nice, thanks.

• Administrators

We need some more info, i.e. 240/260 with carbs, 280 Z/ZX, or 300 ZX with the OE EFI? Stock, modified, if modded, what mods?

Knee jerk reaction to your post is fuel flow issue, clogged fuel filter, faulty fuel pump. Fuel filter should be replaced annually any how, they are inexpensive, so I would start there.