HybridZ

Who has exhaust flanges "flattened" after making a downpipe or header?

Alright, I got my new downpipe tacked together and ready for a full weld job. I have to weld in the O2 sensor bungs too, along with a tube for the dump on my wastegate.

Now my question, my turbo flange is NOT flat at all, and it seems that nobody makes a gasket for it.

Is it common practice to have the mounting surface machined flat after welding etc.... There is no way this won't leak without it.

Thanks - Evan

Alright, I got my new downpipe tacked together and ready for a full weld job. I have to weld in the O2 sensor bungs too, along with a tube for the dump on my wastegate.

Now my question, my turbo flange is NOT flat at all, and it seems that nobody makes a gasket for it.

Is it common practice to have the mounting surface machined flat after welding etc.... There is no way this won't leak without it.

Thanks - Evan

I recently welded up a downpipe and the flange warped as well. I just had my machinist surface it flat. I have not had to use any sealant.

I would have it surfaced but you could do it yourself. Get something flat, I've used square tubing and put some sand paper on it. You can get spray adhesive if you don't have sticky back paper. It's a small area if you aren't removing much material. I did it on a turbo manifold and put another 60k on it with out a leak.