HybridZ

taurus vs. ebay fans

m1ghtymaxXx

I put the fans in at the beginning of last summer and they've been fine.

The main problem with the way mine are mounted is that when the car is stationary, the air only flows over the fines directly in front of the fans. A shroud could significantly improve that. But that kind of metal fabrication is beyond my skills and tools. Please post pictures of yours.

Well I was thinking I'd just find a shop with a metal break to do it. All i had in mind was something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Summit-381106-Fan-Shroud-Aluminum-Natural-14-in-Diamet_W0QQitemZ320186518391QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320186518391 but with openings for the 2 fans

Another idea I had in mind was to run 2 controllers (once I have a couple more bucks to spend). I each one would be set to go on at different temps, so that at both fans aren't always running.
I understand the theory here (similar to the 2 speeds on the Taurus fan), but I think you'll find it overkill with these ebay fans. From inside the car I don't hear them, even at idle, and outside they're barely audible as well. I'd suggest you start with both of them running together and see if you really need to add the extra cost and complexity of 2 controllers.

Last summer I spent a lot of time looking at every "brand" I could find and concluded that most brands were really the same fan underneath the labels. From the picture on their website I can't tell if the proform is the same as the ebay fan, but my suspicion is that they are from the same manufacturer. Look at the back of the motors.

I did notice that the proform has straight blades vs. "S" blades for the ebay fan. I had a set of 10" straight blades previously and they were louder than the 12" S blades. The 10" wasn't too loud, but you couldn't miss it when it was on, so if you're concerned about the noise, you might want to stay with S blades.

Last summer I spent a lot of time looking at every "brand" I could find and concluded that most brands were really the same fan underneath the labels. From the picture on their website I can't tell if the proform is the same as the ebay fan, but my suspicion is that they are from the same manufacturer. Look at the back of the motors.

I did notice that the proform has straight blades vs. "S" blades for the ebay fan. I had a set of 10" straight blades previously and they were louder than the 12" S blades. The 10" wasn't too loud, but you couldn't miss it when it was on, so if you're concerned about the noise, you might want to stay with S blades.

The noise just tells me its workin:burnout:I think its worth the piece of mind spending a few extra dollars and buying local.

Zmanco, thank you for the information!!! i need to upgrade my badly under-cooled Z and this thread came along just in time. I'm going to order 2 of those fans from the seller mentioned in the thread and (if you don't mind) try and replicate your install method and include a shroud. I actually have the same rad you do.

sorry m1g i don't mean to threadjack. actually i owe you one too for posting this thread in the first place :)

thanks all, I'll try and post up pics when done :D

Zmanco, thank you for the information!!! i need to upgrade my badly under-cooled Z and this thread came along just in time. I'm going to order 2 of those fans from the seller mentioned in the thread and (if you don't mind) try and replicate your install method and include a shroud. I actually have the same rad you do.

sorry m1g i don't mean to threadjack. actually i owe you one too for posting this thread in the first place :)

thanks all, I'll try and post up pics when done :D

no prob, i think i've got it all figured out now too.