HybridZ

My son is being transfered to Barksdale AFB.

wheelman

My son is currently stationed at Boling AFB in Washington DC and is part of the Presidential Honor Guard. He is switching careers to something in the medical field (I'm not sure what) and is going to Barksdale AFB in Louisiana.

Does anyone live close to there who can give me a little bit of feedback on what the area is like?

My family has always lived in the northwest and never visited that part of the south so we have no idea what to expect. He's curious about the area after having lived in DC for over 2 years where it's dangerous to go into the neighborhoods around the base. I told him it's probably nice but that I didn't know anything about the area.

Wheelman

I've never lived in Shreveport, but I have lived in northern LA and southern AR. It's hot and humid in the summer time, and not nearly as wet during the winter. I enjoyed my time in that part of the country. It was a little too "country" for my personal preference, but the people I met were generally pleasant.

The base is in the middle of an older part of Bossier City, the community went to hell but once you make it to I-20 things improve significantly. Lots of new housing developments going up East of the base off the freeway, there's riverboat gambling and horseracing in Shreveport and it's 3 hours to Dallas or New Orleans. Lots of bugs, heat and humidity but everyone seemed friendly.

He's curious about the area after having lived in DC for over 2 years where it's dangerous to go into the neighborhoods around the base. I told him it's probably nice but that I didn't know anything about the area.

That is good old South East D.C. for you. Andrews AFB isn't that much better than Bolling. Most AF bases are in the middle of nowhere or in the outskirts of a city that has gone downhill or is barely staying afloat because of the military presence. I haven't been to all USAF state side military bases but he should be fine. If he is single and lives in the dorms then no problems. If he is married he should get on the housing list 30 days before he PCS. If they don't have base housing his "sponsor" at his next duty station should be able to help him settle in.

http://www.barksdale.af.mil/

http://www.barksdale.af.mil/library/

http://www.barksdale.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=4550