HybridZ

Oil Cooler venting

Ok people here is my problem but here is some background information.

1977 Datsun 280Z

1982 turbo motor with intercooler

RX7 oil cooler

2 core aluminum radiator

here are a few pictures to show you what I am dealing with:

DSCN1892Medium.jpg

DSCN1891Medium.jpg

The issue is how to duct the hot air away from the oil cooler and not into the radiator. I have been following several other threads talking about ducting into the radiator but I am not sure what to do about the oil cooler like I already mentioned.

I was thinking about putting a smaller vent that routes air through the new type 3 front spoiler and out the bottom of the car away from the radiator. I was thinking about routing this between the front radiator support and the splitter that I would like to build for the front-end. I would also have to change the orientation of the oil cooler moving it forward a bit and move the lower section out further then the top this way venting the air down and away from the radiator.

So what do you all think?

HB280ZT

Ok, I'll chime in. The basics go along way when combinded together... I think you know them already.

A couple of fans on each of the fluid rads would be my choice. A full sealed shroud to your engine rad. Also flat piece of aluminum or better yet a rigid less heat conductive material between the oil cooler and intercooler attached to your spoiler might help in reducing intake temps. If you can cowl vent your hood to let rising heat esacpe will help much more than trying to force that air under the car.

I understand about most of the items mentioned about venting hot air out of the engine compartment, but to vent the hot air from the oil cooler (180 deg +) through the radiator is not what I really want to do so do I have other options?

I either vent it through the radiator or under the car, those are the ones that I can think of ??

As for a cooling fan on the oil cooler it would not work as the cooler is 4" tall and 21" long. Not much of a place to mount one.

I also just recieved my MSA Type 3 air dam and it has a nice place to mount a splitter to the bottom edge. For the people that have a type 3 how well does it line up with the bottom of the car or does it hang down a bit?

I am looking at boxing in the frontal area of the grill to the radiator support closing off any opening not putting air through the rad.

I may even make a blank off plate to put in front of the upper grill for when I am at the track to try and help with down force on the front end.

Thanks for the help.

Harry

In front of your radiator you have the following:

1. Oil cooler.

2. Intercooler.

3. Air filter.

4. AC condensor.

...and you're worried about the 180 degree air exiting the 4 x 21 oil cooler? You need all the air possible to flow through to the radiator, even if that air is 180 degrees.

It looks like your oil cooler is in front of the lower radiator core support. Bore a couple holes on the back side of the core support and add some reinforcement to the support itself. Run a belly pan to behind front corssmember and be sure to seal the front, top, bottom, and sides of the heat exhanger area so that all the air goes through into the engine compartment.

John,

Thanks for the information. I understand that everything in front of the radiator only adds to the heat problem. Also I did not think about putting holes in the lower support to vent air through, will have to look into that one.

As for ducting I am looking at venting all air from top and bottom grill openings through the radiator opening, how TBD!!

Now comes the fun part trying to figure all of this out!!

Hopefully someone posts more pictures showing radiator ducting.

Thanks

HB280ZT

• 2 weeks later...