HybridZ

A custom 240Z/260Z engine?

Starking

• Administrators
I mean what I said and I said what I mean. :-D

Forget the nicks on the pistons (that was an accident...)

look at the bores. Stock L26 with L24 pistons

The reason those two pistons are polished and the other isn't is a little experiment that I'm doing to see if carbon builds up less on polished pistons...

2savage,

This process is called “eye-browing” the block. A practice used to relieve the block for oversize valves, or due to undersize bores wink.gif , and also used to help unshroud the valves, if they open that far.

I pulled these out of the archives;

Eye-browing a block

Somewhere in this thread Eye-browing is mentioned.

Heads pg.4

OTM,

As for the polishing pistons and chambers… Carbon will still stick to polished surfaces as well. Difference being, when you perform some form of “on a running engine” de-carbonization, (blown head gaskets do a great job of this), the carbon comes off little easier, i.e. doesn’t adhere as good do to smoother finish.

• Administrators
About your grandpa saying it would go 160, I talked to the manager at our local Les Schawbs and he said that he had a 280z back in the 80's with a fully built motor (na) that would do 150 mph. Im not sure what all he did to it but must have been expensive.

(Warning, this is an aggressive rant against Les Schwab employees…)

Mopar, this is not directed at you at all, just at Les Scwab employees and their continual spewing of BS! They are just as bad as used car salesmen! spaccio.gif

How many times have we all heard someone claim they had a friend that owned a Z or they owned a Z in the past that was mostly stock or uber-modified that would bury the speedo past 160? We hear that crap all the time and 95% of the time, it’s a lie! And when a Les Scwab employee makes a similar statement, now we know it to be 100% BS!!! noway.gif

I don’t believe a 150 MPH Z-car from ANY Les Schwab employee even for a second! Sorry about this rant, but when a Les Schwab employee is quoting information, I call BS as I have yet to meet one that isn’t full of $#&!!!! My bet is no more than an honest 120 Mph TOPS!!!!

I’ve heard more than few Les Schwab “managers” not just floor sales people, tell costumers that such and such tire is the best ate everything dry, wet, snow, mud, road noise, mileage, etc. All those incredible attributes in one cheap tire. Heard one Manager describing to an unsuspecting youngster wanting performance tires, that Chevrolet chose wide tires for the new Corvette because wider tires have less rolling resistance for better mileage and that lower rolling resistance means more available grip for cornering!!!! My wife was rolling her eyes over the line of BS that he was spewing to this poor kid. Another Lesters bonehead then also told my mother in-law that she needed new shocks and they had just the ones for her that were firm and will improve the ride quality and handling of her Minivan over stock, so she trusted this idiot and bought those shocks. They installed “Monroe Gas-matics” and her Ford Minivan hobby horses worse than it did with the OE shocks that had over a 100,000 miles on them.

Ok, I’m done. Thank you for allowing me this rant. I feel alto better now. I’ve been wanting to pitch this bitch for a few years now.. phew.gif

OTM,

As for the polishing pistons and chambers… Carbon will still stick to polished surfaces as well. Difference being, when you perform some form of “on a running engine” de-carbonization, (blown head gaskets do a great job of this), the carbon comes off little easier, i.e. doesn’t adhere as good do to smoother finish.

I know...

I just want to experiment and have pictures to prove it to myself. :-D

I really thought that I had compromised the pistons with that little "mistake"...

I've had the motor play around 4-7k RPMs for about 200 miles straight since those pics were taken and they seem OK since the motor hasn't grenaded. Now I just have to resolve my flywheel problem with some shorter flywheel bolts that won't bottom out on the crank.

These L series engines really are tough little buggers! This motor has gone through a LOT...learning to drive a stick, pegging the tach upon breaking the tranny, bad gas, good gas, delivering pizza (fastest delivery in town...), running it on the tail of the dragon staying between 3500-7200 rpms for 16-20 minutes at a time...

It just keeps asking for more punishment!LOL!! It still just burns off a quart every 3000 miles just like it did when I bought it.

Time for the last hoorah with compression getting bumped up again and some kind of EFI.

"bury the speedo past 160?"

I did... but then again I think my tires were about as tall as a dime...LOL which equates to MUCH lower than 160 by a factor of about 25%...

Yeah I by no means believed him. I had to hold back from laughter when he was telling me and my dad. Thing that really made me laugh is that he couldnt tell me what he had done to the car, he obvously knew I wasnt just some stupid kid that would believe a cold air intake would make it that fast. The only thing he remembered was "custom aluminum halfshafts", which make the car faster...

Ok now i might get hammered for this butttt.... I went to Great falls montana back when they had "no speed limits" and with my brother in the car, 82 280zx, i hit about 5800 rpms in fith gear. The car had a Big cam, headers 2 1/2 in exhaust, no cat, max timing, sebring mufferler and electic fan. This was on pretty much still day around 70 degrees and mostly flat run. Remember I had lots of room to top it out. Stock tranny and rear end treated with energy release. N/A. T-tops off. I know that it would fly past 120 compared to my dads 420? v8 mercedes. I always wanted to replace that stupid 85 mph speedo that was off as well. Simple caculations I figured about 140ish. I know this is not a 240 and bigger engine.

That is what i figured in my head at the time, but I did not want to say 150. Figured no one would believe me. To add gas to the fire, i averaged 23 mph. Not at that speed but doing a 100mph. Anyhow to tie it into the original thread, I cant wait for my kids to grow up so i can tell them the story! Image, unlimited speed on a freeway! (actually 100 was tops and you better not get caught doing that in a mini van or you were cooked!)

A S130 is better aerodynamically then a S30 and will go about 12% faster given the same horsepower. For my basically stock bodied S30 I needed 320 horsepower to get to 150 mph so that should give you a benchmark to compare top speed claims.

Look, I have advoided saying this for a long time cuse it seemed impossible based on wiser people them me. So I will conclued it this way..... At that moment in time there must have been a gavitation force of all the planet plus an anomality in the magnetosfera from solar winds all alined at one time to give a grossly impossibe read of my tach crushing my dreams of crossing the 150 bearrer to bits. Now there is a speed limit in Montana. CRAP! I wish there was a chace car with me, sooo sad, sooo sad. I swear,,,,,,,,,,bummer. Well now I cant tell my son confidently that my frist z did that! I feel for starking. I will now cry my self to sleep now. BTW No stories of when I hit 140 in my 86 hatch si on the backside of snowqumlme pass to seattle ethier..........my life sucks now!!!!!!!

After re-reading this myself, please just think: tail between legs slinking away butt i swear.......

Look, I have advoided saying this for a long time cuse it seemed impossible based on wiser people them me. So I will conclued it this way..... At that moment in time there must have been a gavitation force of all the planet plus an anomality in the magnetosfera from solar winds all alined at one time to give a grossly impossibe read of my tach crushing my dreams of crossing the 150 bearrer to bits. Now there is a speed limit in Montana. CRAP! I wish there was a chace car with me, sooo sad, sooo sad. I swear,,,,,,,,,,bummer. Well now I cant tell my son confidently that my frist z did that! I feel for starking. I will now cry my self to sleep now. BTW No stories of when I hit 140 in my 86 hatch si on the backside of snowqumlme pass to seattle ethier..........my life sucks now!!!!!!!

After re-reading this myself, please just think: tail between legs slinking away butt i swear.......

I don't know why (and please don't take any offense, its the LAST thing I intend) but this reponse had me rolling on the floor.....

I suppose we have all heard the 160mph Z car story because thats what the speedo tops out at... :icon56: but it *does* get a bit old after a while, huh?

now, getting back to something less off topic, I was thinking the other day...

Could one not assume a given coefficient of drag, a given vehicle weight, presume a zero rolling resistance, flat grade, and zero wind..... and then input the vehicle's gearing and wheel power and torque numbers, and calculate out a top maximum speed that this vehicle, with this gearing. power, and other parameters, could attain????

I say assume zero rolling resistance because this would be the most difficult variable to quantify.. but with all the "gearing calculators" and "engine design utilities" and other BS go-fast calculators on the web, I am surprised that this one hasn't been written yet.... am I failing to include any needed parameters?

Absolutely no offence taken. You definitly got the spirte of my post! I did get to 5800rpm but i could not have been doing 150mph. I was just triing to help out the orignal poster and his grandfather. I like your idea on possible top speeds! BTW felt like driving on ice, lots of lift!!!!!!!!!!! And the wind almost made your ears ring (t-tops off). We also had some wind burn later:)

• Administrators

OTM, You are absolutely 100% correct. US Spec E-88 heads have no provision for the OE EFI intake manifold mounting or injector slots. The ’75 and later heads are factory drilled/machined for OE EFI intake manifolds mounting and injector slots, N-42, N-47, P-79 and P-90.